VCA Reviews

Great workplace. Love getting to see so many animals and help them out. As with any business you do have those crazy clients but that’s expected. Also most of the staff are women so drama can definitely start here and there but overall great place to work. You do get discounts too and that helps a lot
VCA is a company that truly cares for your pets. Specifically VCA ASEC in an event of an emergency this is the place that you want to attend they give the best quality of care to your little love ones. They always out the pet at a priority. Sometimes the wait is long, but that is just because its like any other emergency facility like human hospitals.
I've worked at VCA Woodford for more than 2 years now. It has always been a great workplace that has given me plenty of valuable experience in my field.
Start Your Review of VCA
I like that I am pushed to be a better technician. I am challenged in an amazing way every day and my co-workers are so supportive and we all get along and work as a team. The day flies by and it is a wonderful feeling to not dread going to work.
The VCA I worked for was located in Alaska. It was very conveniently located for the part of town it served and my commute every day was easy. I got along well with all my co-workers. The veterinarians and manager were very approachable. I was temporarily offered a job promotion, but it was not the one I wanted. I ended up being stuck in the same position without transitioning to another area of the hospital like I had requested. But I understood that we were short-staffed and clients really liked me working the front desk. The corporate side of VCA was the main frustrating part of working there. The hourly pay for my experience/education and pay raises were not on par with other private vet practices or other medical offices in the area. Health insurance and employee benefits were very expensive. I would work for another VCA in the future if they would actually pay employees what they're worth.
Working for VCA has been an excellent experience. I enjoy my coworkers and am able to use my skills. I am also able to teach my skills and am thrilled that we have that type of work environment. It's also great to be able to serve our community and provide a high standard of veterinary care to our patients.
Overall VCA is a great company to work for. They definitely keep the client and pet's well being in mind and strive for excellence. Also, they offer great pet discounts and tuition assistance with the Penn foster veterinary technician program.
With the hospital being a 24hr facility, it is easy to find days/shifts that fit with my school schedule
I have been working for VCA for over 6mths and I have found it to be a pleasant place to work. Everyone is friendly and though it is face paced some days, there is time to relax. I have been given a warm welcome and have gone from receptionist to vet assistant in only a few months. I love to help out in the back and I feel as though I am learning a lot. Management is very fair in their hours and it feels like more than a team, it feels like a family.
What I enjoyed about VCA was with anything and everything that could walk through those doors, the staff was always ready. From preventative to emergency care, everyone at VCA was ready to go.
This company has helped my grow in my skills and has provided me with life lessons that will continue to help me in work and personal life. The people care about you and become family.
Decent place to work can go from very slow to fast paced in an instant. Pay is minimum wage with not many opportunities to promote.
Made good friends at this place, and learned a lot about the profession here. High turnover at the front desk made things somewhat chaotic.
I've loved working at VCA over the past 5 years. I was hired on as a kennel attendant in August of 2013 and was promoted to a receptionist 8 months later. In September of 2014, I left VCA to pursue a career in the commercial insurance industry. After a two-year stint as an insurance agent, I returned to VCA. The flexible hours allow me to attend school full-time. I couldn't dream of a better job to put me through college. In 2017, I struggled with severe mental health issues. The individuals in management at VCA were compassionate and accommodating through this time. They even created a position for me that lessened my workload and allowed me to take frequent breaks. Eventually, I transitioned back into my role as a receptionist. I don't know how I would've made it through without my VCA family.
Increase pay for veterinary technicians and veterinary assistants. They have hourly wages comparable to some fast food companies. Terrible for the amount of skill and work required.
The work experience here varies depending on which hospital you are employed by. There is certainly a corporate chain of command no matter what, but each hospital is given a certain sense of autonomy. Fortunately, VCA has deep pockets, so you will likely not be hurting for equipment or supplies, and will be well-equipped to do your job. In larger hospitals, there seems to be a higher turnover rate, and I attribute that to the company's unwillingness to pay staff what they are worth. However, there has been a recent shift in culture, and they are working hard to give raises, pay their good staff to stay, and cut loose the people who aren't contributing to a positive working environment. This kind of attitude makes staff feel valued and want to work harder and fosters a sense of loyalty to the hospital and the company, so I can honestly say that after 7 years and 3 different hospitals, VCA is definitely headed in the right direction.
For the first year everything went great. They worked with my school schedule and gave me the hours I need. Things started to go south six months ago when the manager went on maternity leave and the assistant manager to over her position. She started showing favoritism with some employees, and would only give them overtime. She also targetted other employees. As a result, the hospital lost a lot of their employees. This situation made the manger come back from maternity leave early to try to fix the situation. Thankfully things are slowly going back to normal.
Start Your Review of VCA
Recently our Vet office was sold to VCA. The transition has been smooth and pleasant. As a once family owned business, I was nervous about being "bought out" by a large Vet Medicine company but they truly represent a company that cares about the services it provides to their pet patients and owners! When we were transitioning, representatives of the company came to our office and interacted directly with me and the staff to really get to know who we were and what we stood for. I love VCA and am proud to work for a VCA owned animal hospital!
Overall this hospital has a lot of positive opportunity's for the right person looking for a field in veterinary work. It is very competitive and you learn a lot just by being present and open to learn new things.
Poor benefits (excellent pet care discount but all other benefits are nonexistent, too expensive, or incredibly poor). Management does not deal well with upset clients nor do they put employees first, unsafe practices, poor management, all about "bottom line".