About Varsity Tutors
No job listings match your search criteria.
Pay & Benefits
- of employees say healthcare coverage is good or excellent.25 responses
- of employees say retirement benefits are good or excellent.25 responses
- of employees say the family leave policy is good or excellent.25 responses
- of employees say paid time off/vacation days are good or excellent.25 responses
- of employees believe their work helps make the world a better place.25 responses
- of employees say it's easy to work remotely.25 responses
- of employees say schedules are predictable.25 responses
- of employees say taking vacation is encouraged.25 responses
- of employees say the workplace is parent friendly.25 responses
- of employees are happy to work here.25 responses
- of employees say coworkers socialize.25 responses
- of employees think their coworkers are smart.25 responses
- of employees like their coworkers.25 responses
- of employees responded with N/A when asked about the ratio of men to women.25 responses
- of employees responded with N/A when asked about the ethnic diversity of the organization.25 responses
- of employees say the employees are diverse in age.25 responses
Varsity Tutors Reviews
My experience at Varsity Tutors has been great so far! I got my first tutoring opportunity this week with a client, and the tutoring session went well! I got paid the same week, and the pay rate is great! I love having the freedom of setting my own hours and getting paid to do what I love, which is very fulfilling and rewarding. However, the number of tutoring opportunities that are available depend on the time of the school academic year, which is mainly high during the fall, winter, and spring semesters, where as during the summer semesters is fairly low.
It's a great job for a student - you can choose what subjects you tutor, and you can set your own hours and how much you want to work! Most of the students you'll get want to get better and improve, so it's more enjoyable than perhaps a large-scale teaching experience. It was pretty tough to get started with my first student (took about a month to get successfully set up with someone) but from there I haven't had much difficulty finding new students. Sometimes their tutor support or tech leaves something to be desired, but overall it's pretty good.
What I like about Varsity Tutors is that the schedule is flexible. You get paid twice a week. It's also pretty laid back. You can tutor online or in person. There are many subjects that you can tutor on, provided that you pass an assessment. For online tutoring, there is a platform that VT provides, and it has webcam/microphone, whiteboard tools, problems/questions for various subjects, and more. Tutors are notified of opportunities and then the company matches the client with the tutor. The downside is that there are no benefits, there are glitches with the system, and you are completely on your own in terms of tutoring style and methodology (no training or orientation for tutoring). However, you can figure out best tutoring methods for each client along the way.