University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics Reviews

I enjoy working here as the work is dependable, the environment is friendly/welcoming. There are yearly pay raises, tuition assistance; the benefits are hard to beat at other hospitals.
There are lots of opportunities in the hospital to learn and grow professionally. They continue to expand and offer more. The downside is that most of management is not the best.
The team that I work on is very positive and we all work well together. We welcome new people and help them feel comfortable with procedures they are learning before the move on to new specialties.
Start Your Review of University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics
I started working as a Psychiatric Nursing Assistant at UIHC in June of 2018. Specifically, I work in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. The best part about my job is that I get to co-lead and lead DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy). DBT is designed for adolescents experiencing crisis. It is in getting to know each patient and their unique needs that helps determine what may be most helpful to them. I love my job. I love the opportunity to get to be apart of kids' treatment in their mental health, especially in a society that often stigmatizes mental health. The number one thing I've learned is that the power of validation is the first step in exterminating said stigma. The one thing I'd change, though, is that I do with we were better staffed for safety and therapeutic effectiveness reasons.
I will say that the benefits provided at the University of Iowa are very extensive and nice. It pays to stay there. They strive to be the cutting edge of medicine providing the best resources for their patients.
Great pay and incredible benefits! There is always room to grow at the U. The only downside I feel is the location - There is no parking on campus for employees. Most people take the bus in from a commuter parking lot. I live close enough that I am able to bike.
The University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics is an exceptional place to work as a full-time student at the University of Iowa. I work in the Guest Services Department as a Student Lead patient transport, but I am aware of dozens of other student positions available to those enrolled at the university. Many of the opportunities for student employment are flexible, well-compensated, and align with students interested in working within a healthcare related profession. I would highly recommend applying for a position at the University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics if you are interested in getting hands-on patient experience.
I absolutely love working at UIHC. The SNICU is a great place to learn and work. For the most part staff is very friendly and we get a lot of good patient satisfactions reviews.
Great benefits to working at the University. Better healthcare coverage than any other employer in the area
Benefits are great and are usually what keeps most employees working there. It’s also a very dynamic environment where you learn something new each and every day.
The whole system is extremely dysfunctional and disorganized. During the interview period and upon hiring the expectations were very misleading. Working in the Operating room there seems to be a large lack of communication between the different perioperative roles. The Doctors are extremely entitled and catered too while the Nursing department is largely ignored. The orientation and education for on the job training is inadequate. The social environment is very toxic, people are always complaining about their job and how they are unhappy. Certain policies are unnecessarily long and confusing. Transportation for employees especially new employees is horrible. The buses run infrequently and almost non-existent during off hours. The bus doesn’t drop you off at the hospital, you still must walk 10 + minutes through a skywalk to make it to your job. The closer it gets to start times the buses are so full that sometimes they can’t pick up passengers and you must wait for the next bus.
At my time at Iowa, several harrasment claims were filed with upper management against direct supervisors, which included a situation of one of them refusing to let employees leave/stop serving hospital patients and personnel when sick and feverish. Many employees in other departments talked about unethical treatment of patients and employees alike. It's well known that if you work for the hospital, you go to Mercy when you're sick or you won't be treated well.
I enjoy working at UIHC, they are very supportive as a part time employee and full time student and work around my schedule. They also have wonderful benefits. Hoping to work here full time after I graduate. Only complaint I have is the parking.
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is an excellent place to work. They offer great benefits, a positive work environment, and promote growth opportunities among the staff.
The benefits at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics are very good. They have a very good retirement program and different health care options tailored for people who are single, married, and have children. My nurse manager is very good with working around my school commitments.
Working at UIHC has helped me evolve as a professional employee and I have learned a wide variety of experiences and skills that have helped me tremendously.
I like to work here because coworkers make the change working every day. They are efficient and reliable.
Start Your Review of University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics
I absolutely enjoy working here as an student employee. My managers have been able to supply me with all my scheduling done with at least a month- two in advance so I am able to make plans around them. Often times we are permitted to bring along our homework during the slow hours and study, as long as the work is being completed. I would recommend students to work here as the hours here are flexible, and staff are aware that education comes first, and will not conflict class schedules with work hours.