Sylvan Learning Reviews

I have been with Sylvan for 10 years and I love it. If you are the type to seek out interesting work, there will always be something made available to you, which in turn will lead to advancement in the company. Sylvan is always on the lookout for people that have a passion for growth. I've learned so many things in my positions at Sylvan. They've allowed me to grow so much professionally.

I would like to see a better remote work policy (it is currently at the discretion of your Manager) and better health insurance, but these are not sub par by industry standards, by any means. The only other complaint is that we've seen a few layoffs, but in the last couple of years, this trend is slowing because the company is finally growing again.
Sylvan Learning is an easy, effective way to connect your tutoring services with students. I have looked into other tutoring services before becoming a Sylvan employee, and highly recommend the company over others. There is no prep work needed, as the online system assesses student needs in math or reading and provides content accordingly. Scheduling is taken care of for you as well, as the facility manager will assign each teacher students that match their subject preferences and hours. The token system used to reward student keeps everyone in a good mood, and there is a variety of manipulatives provided for you to suppliment learning. The only complaint I can think of is that $15 an hour, while a decent part-time salary, does not hold a candle to what tutors typically make. However, when you consider the amount of unpaid hours it would take for an independent tutor to find, schedule, and prepare for the same number of students, the pay cut, in my opinion, is worth the benefits.
Nicest people I’ve worked with. Never liked the work though. What if I wrote AI to type the rest of this 100 character thingy.
Start Your Review of Sylvan Learning
I would like to see for me and the other tutors to receive better pay. I would also like for the pay to be equal among all the employees. It is not fair for someone who has been there longer to get paid less than the other tutors who have just started.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK! ITS FUN, We work with children and build relationships with families. I like working here because it is focused on education. Tutoring for children works. We can see results. We focus on the mastery skills and its personalized tutoring. There are growth opportunity to be able to run the center. WE don't work holidays. location is great. management cares about employees. Making great friends and having a great positive motivation.
Great place to work. Pay was pretty good, but no raise after many months working here. Management not very encouraging or helpful or caring.
It is very enriching working with kids and watching them grow. I also enjoy the relationships I get to build with the entire family. The teachers really care about the students and love what they do!
Like any other job, there are positives and negatives about working here. You are in control of your schedule so there is some room to create some "work/life" balance. However, the work is fast paced and there often times that require long hours. You need to be able to multi-task and have strong customer services skills as well as be very knowledgeable about education. It's a very demanding job and I'm not sure the compensation actually matches the amount of work and expertise that is required.
The bosses and staff are extremely welcoming. They are pretty lenient about requesting days off as long as you give them a fair warning. The job can be a bit chaotic due to the business of the job, but they try to keep it as structured as possible.