West Salem Reviews

I love West Salem, WI. I knew that when my husband and I were looking to purchase our first home that it would be in or around West Salem. The town is not too big and is far enough out of the "big" city (La Crosse). The school district is one of the best around and that was one of our factors of location as well - for our future family.
West Salem is an average Western Wisconsin town. In the town itself, there is not much to do. However, it is an outlying town of the city of La Crosse which has many things to do. West Salem is pretty and a lot of nature can be seen untouched. It is a nice place to live because the taxes are significantly lower than those of the surrounding cities. West Salem is a nice town if you are settling down to start a family or looking for a quiet place to retire.
West Salem is a small farm town in Western Wisconsin. Located right off the Mississippi River, and nestled between tall bluffs. West Salem has a beautiful lake, and locals fish, boat, and spend their Summer days at the beach. Hiking and ice skating are popular in Fall and Winter. Everyone is extremely friendly, and it is a great place to raise a family. There are a lot of local farmers to buy produce from.
Start Your Review of West Salem
I love living in West Salem, WI. The schools work wonderfully with my kids and getting them the proper education they deserve. The community works well together and if you need something, someone is always there willing to help out. West Salem is a growing community and as it gets bigger, I hope that people in our community is still as generous and willing to help out.
Cute little town with great people. I have never felt unsafe there. Great place to raise a family and settle down.
Barely any issues with crime.
It's beautiful, with a relatively low crime rate.
The area is beautiful and I love the people around here, but it's very different from where I lived before and there isn't as much stuff to do since it's not by as many big cities, so that is definitely a down side to living here.
My overall experience of this area is a great one. I have loved the majority of my time spent here and have been here for a long time. I look forward to either moving back or at least visiting the area frequently.
The transportation in this area is mediocre. There are definitely things to upgrade, like parking and public transportation, but for the most part it is pretty solid.
The weather here is pretty decent overall. There plus is that there are a full 4 seasons. However, it gets brutally cold during the winter with lots of snow and it gets miserably hot during the summer.
The city of La Crosse revolves around "3rd Street". This is where all of the bars and downtown scene is located. On the weekends this area is buzzing with energy and is a great atmosphere. However, there is a lack of great food options to pair with the great drink venues. There needs to be a change for better food options.
The La Crosse area is starting to invest back in the community. Many new businesses are going up which offer great opportunities for employment. For my interests, there are multiple hospitals and pharmacies in the area which provide employment opportunities to a very large number of people in the community.
The local businesses in the area where I live are decent. It is a short drive to La Crosse and Onalaska which have an abundance of local businesses. The main thing that I enjoy is the mix of big chain stores with mom-and-pop shops. It gives the area diversity and also drives a good economy. The one complaint I have is that I wish there were more clothing stores in the area. There is a local mall, but it is lack luster to say the least.
My neighborhood is within a heavily wooded area, so wildlife and plantlife are abundant. West Salem has numerous parks, with people visiting every day during the summertime. There is very little pollution due to the fact that West Salem is a small area, and nature is always maintained here.
Innsbruck is a gorgeous place to live, with trees and wildlife surrounding homes. The houses have numerous yards separating them, so privacy is not hard to come by. Homes are generally not enormous, but are still very pleasant. The people are always welcoming and friendly to both neighbors and new movers alike. The neighborhood takes part in maintaining our water system and other public grounds, and everyone pitches in at one point or another during the year.