Rochester Reviews

There is a good level of affordable-ish housing. The north side of town is fairly safe with fewer crimes and more stores, other than downtown. Mayo is annoying and overwhelming. The roadwork is neverending and always happening. Having Mayo in town is nice if you need specific medical care, but it is not cheap. Otherwise it's just a midsize city like any other.
I think Rochester is a great diverse city. It is a good medium sized city with low crime. Most of the school systems are good, and there are both two year and four year colleges in Rochester. I wish that there was more to do. Not only activities for children, but adults as well. When DMC is finished I hope they have thought of something to keep the new families here in the well kept city.
Rochester is a great place to grow up in. It's a big town with lots of options for career choice and people to become friends with. The Mayo Clinic is definitely one of the most popular sites in all of Rochester and is also very convenient for quick medical care whenever needed!
Start Your Review of Rochester
I've lived in this city for more than 10 years and there are problems in Rochester still not addressed. There is an increase number of residents going homeless, rising cost of housing, silent racism, and lack of activities for younger residents to just name a few. Not to mention, Mayo Clinic is on top in Rochester and Doctors are put on top of the hierarchy in this city. Rochester is a kind and friendly city, but most of the residents here have an indirect aggression. This city is growing and the problems in this city will grow with it too if they are not addressed. If you're still thinking of moving to Rochester, then think long and hard.
Rochester is run by MAYO CLinic ...................................................................................
Rochester is my hometown. I moved away after high school for a few years, but came back. "Minnesota Nice" really does apply, especially when you move from the Midwest to the West Coast.
Let me preface this by saying I've lived in 5 different states and one foreign nation overseas. Restaurant selection and quality is terrible in this town.. The worst I've ever seen. Live here if you love Subway and Panera.... Otherwise you'll need to learn to cook good food for yourself...
I like the convenience of Rochester. It's very easy to get from one place to another. The traffic really is non-existent when compared to larger cities, so I can spend less time in the car and more time with loved ones. The setbacks include a lack of things to do as well as culture. Many things worth going to for young people are over an hour away by car. There are not many local businesses, which is something I'd like to see drastically change as shopping local is very important to me.
With DMC going on, the city is forgetting about the people that live there. Prices are extremely ridiculous and the activities are again only for DMC
I moved from Rochester from Miami in December of 2015 so far its been great living is more affordable in Minnesota than Miami. There is about a 100% chance you'll find a job here as well. I was a bit skeptical about leaving Miami but I'm glad I made the choice to move here. I've also made some great life long friends along the way.
Rochester is now becoming a well and fast developing place to not only live in but as well as to raise a family. It is great when it comes to commuting, health care is also great but expensive. So is the living which is slowly rising in expense.
Overall Rochester is a peaceful place to relax, unwind, and meet new people.
We have lived here for almost two years, having relocated here from Wisconsin to work for Mayo. Pretty much everyone in the area works for Mayo or someone in their family does. Much more diversity in Rochester than other places I've lived. There is a busy downtown which houses most of the Mayo buildings. Cost of living is high, with rentals and home prices being way more than surrounding areas. It does have a small airport which is really nice. People are friendly. Biggest issue I see is the lack of outdoors activities and activities for younger, child-free couples. There are lots of family activities in town, but not much for couples who don't have kids.
It's not a bad place to live, but it can be a sleepy little town mentality despite being a rather rapidly expanding and growing city, and the proximity and importance of Mayo hikes up the cost of living so it can be kind of pricey to settle down here initially. Basically, if you don't work for Mayo and happen to be Caucasian, you're going to find little in terms of full-time professional work unless you're into management for different department stores or franchises around town, or own your own business.
The biggest things that stand out is that the city has a large medical facility and the city is growing fast with new living areas all over the place.
I love Rochester! Personally, I am a big fan of the weather changes and all of the seasons, so I love living in an area where I get to see the leaves change and the snow fall. The downtown area is very pretty and there are resources to many different kinds of people available everywhere. If there was one thing I could change, it would be the amount of activities available to younger people. Adults have the ability to go to bars and restaurants downtown, but students and kids don't have many activities to do. I would like to see more parks, trails, and sport-designated areas around in order to get kids outside and active. Other than that, I love it here!
I would like to see Rochester have more things for the younger adults, ages 25-35. I feel like a lot of Rochester is playing catch up, compared to other cities.
Rochester is an amazing place to raise your children. I have had lots of wonderful experiences while living here. I have met amazing people that encourage me to live life to it's fullest. Rochester is a family town. Pretty boring here though, but I feel extremely safe here. The public schools are great, but I think that they need more minorities working within their school system to be able to better understand and relate to children of various nationalities. Right now, it is affordable to live here, but I think that it is going to become very expensive in years to come.
Start Your Review of Rochester
Rochester is a great place to raise a family or grow old. If you are not within that demographic, it has little to offer. Nightlife, food, and culture are lacking. Schools are good and the largest employer, Mayo, is the whole town.
Rochester is just the right size. It is small enough that there is some sense of community, and for short enough commute times (around 20 minutes from one side to another). Rochester is big enough to be the central hub for the area, meaning it has all the commodities. It also has one of the best medical institutions in the world. In nearly every aspect I am very happy to be a Rochester resident.
Currently working on a lot of construction projects to further modernize the city. Downtown is pretty nice, good places to eat food with friends. Mayo Clinic makes you feel safe and protected from harm.