Van Nuys Reviews

I was raised in Van nuys and continue to live here and its an ok place to live but i would like for it to have less gang activity. One of my brothers was shot a few years ago by gang members.
I've lived in Van Nuys for my entire 23 years of life; overall, I love it and feel very safe there. However, I do think the residents of this city need to be more mindful of their cleanliness. Some parts of the city have streets that have a significant amount of trash on them, making the appearance of these parts not as attractive as the city should be.
Not the best neighborhood, there are small pockets with great housing and new hotels, very diverse, lots of good food!
Start Your Review of Van Nuys
I grew up in Van Nuys and I am used to living here. My close friends and family live in the area. I've met people who are dear to me and have inspired me to pursue my dreams and goals for my future. I have also seen businesses gone and new ones coming in. Overall I like my area still, there is work needed to improve the area.
Van Nuys isn't as ghetto as it's said to be but there are some small things that could be improved for example parking. The streets are always filled with cars and it's chaotic. There are some safety issues regarding vandalism, but you can say it's a tight community and for the most part you know everyone.
Definitely a viable option if you plan to commute to lots of areas in Los Angeles, Orange County, etc. Due to Van Nuys being in the middle of the valley it's perfect if you need to go to Downtown, Los Angeles one day then the next having to go to Calabasas without being too far and spending so much time on the freeway.
I was born and raised in Van Nuys. Their are a lot of hidden gems and their is a great culture variation in shopping plazas.
Currently living across from Grant High School. Kind of a cool quirk because they shot the movie "DOPE" at the school! But after living in numerous parts of L.A. I would definetely say that this area is SO FAR the cleanest, NO BUGS...(yes that's usually a problem), pretty quiet and safe. Close to a lot of good restaurants with a 30 minute bike ride, 7-15 minute drive/uber away depending on where you go. It's a bit pricey but im paying for the 0 amount of bugs and peace of mind. Oh, and for you Hollywood lovers, it's only about 20 minutes away!
Good food at affordable rates, variety of choices. Heavy traffic most of the day little to no parking at most places. Open more parking spots. Create more lanes.
It’s a diverse community. You can find anything here, from restaurants to plenty of shopping areas. It’s a great place to explore.
I was born in Van Nuys and raised I have great childhood memories especially during the summer, spending time at the public pool or just playing tag with my friends outside. I do wish it was just like back when I was a kid. I do feel it has changed so much you have a lot of people with money buying property here changing things.
Van Nuys has been my home since I was born. It is not utterly terrible as other may expect. Many people here are mostly kind, and helpful. Streets are sometimes littered with trash.
Neighborhoods were nice, seems to be like a nice area. Lots of great restaurants of a nice variety. The metro station is so good and gives access to other stations as well. Streets are mostly clean with a few not so good areas here and there.
The city does look a little torn down. There is not enough being done to help the homeless in Van Nuys, there is a lot of homeless. There are plenty of specialty schools and programs for the youth. Than is a great thing about the area. The city puts much effort here. However, the teachers in the standard public schools are horrible and so disinterested in teaching children. Same can be said for the principals.
Prostitution, drugs, homelessness, outrageously unaffordable, pollution, 24/7 traffic, constant noise, lacking in almost every possible way. I have been (and, sadly, still am) a resident for 25 years and am trapped in pure garbage. Do yourself a favor and stay as far away as possible, unless you're visiting someone in the county jail, have a court appearance or are summoned for jury duty.
One benefit to living in Van Nuys is that it is very walkable, and has many different mom-and-pop shops and restaurants, but also has a fair share of well-known chains. Van Nuys is great, geographically, because it is central to The West Side (e.g. Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Brentwood), as well as Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, North and Granada Hills, making it easy to get to work (as long as you don't get stuck in LA traffic)!
On the other hand, I do not always feel safe in Van Nuys. The east side of Van Nuys is more run down than the west side. I would not feel comfortable walking down the street by myself at night, and for that reason, I never do. Overall, the area is about average in terms of cleanliness and traffic as compared to other neighboring areas. Unfortunately the schools are very poor quality in this area. Many families live here, and have their children attend schools outside of the area, or private schools.
Van Nuys is a chill area but not the best. If I’m being honest there isn’t much do here. One good thing is that there’s a lot of stores and places to eat close to you where ever you are. The city could be a lot more cleaner & have less homeless people around.
Start Your Review of Van Nuys
There are pockets of sketchy areas in Van Nuys, however for the most part it is a great place to afford a nice-sized home (in a safe neighborhood) with a broad selection of quality educational opportunities.
There has been some projects completed in recent years that improved the reputation of Van Nuys. I think there is still a ways to go to become more of a destination of things for people to enjoy. Fine dining, entertainment, theaters, outdoor malls and things of that nature would greatly improve Van Nuys. There are some very nice areas but there are still some neighborhoods and business areas that could use a face lift.
Van Nuys is a community within the San Fernando Valley that is going through considerable change, new apartment buildings are constantly on the rise and what this is bringing is a rise in awareness of cleanliness and safety. Safety used to be an issue within many of the streets but this is no longer the case.