Glen Iris Reviews

I love this neighborhood. It's grittier than Homewood or other over-the-mountain towns, but if you value diversity, proximity to downtown, and affordable housing, then it's a winner. There are a lot students and UAB faculty and staff in the neighborhood. You have to keep an eye out--leaving your car door unlocked isn't a good idea, nor is leaving items of value out on your porch. But that's urban living for you! Having lived in Boston, I find Glen Iris reminds me of living in a "real" city--I can walk to some things, I see all kinds of people, my neighbors are friendly. Housing in the neighborhood is also appreciating as UAB grows, so now is a good time to get in.
The crime is quickly getting worse. However, I have seen the police patrolling more frequently.
The area is not the safest to be in. However, it is in close proximity to where I work and go to school. It is close to downtown without always dealing with downtown traffic. Overall, Birmingham is better than a lot of areas. Unfortunately, over the years the crime rates have increased.
Start Your Review of Glen Iris
The weather in this area is great.
The restaurants and bars are great.
Although no one can prevent crime, this neighborhood police department are very adamant when it comes to responding for the smallest concern of the community. They do believe in protect and serve.
There plenty restaurants and operating businesses that have employment opportunities just about every season.