Monterey Reviews

This is one of the most beautiful and friendly towns in California, and yes, I have lived all over the state. It's 6 hours to Yosemite, 8 hours to Death Valley, 90 minutes to Big Sur, and a few minutes to the beach. You can ride a bike up and down the coastline. Socially liberal but not as much as in Santa Cruz about one hour up the coast. The weather is on the cool side year-round with a lot of foggy nights. Nightlife is not that big here. It's still the same old fishing village it was originally. More people are out at 8 am than at 8 pm! Several good pubs around, though.

One drawback is the housing price. There is no cheap housing here, but we make it work by sharing the rent, etc.

I have never met anyone who regretted coming here.
It is so beautiful! I live 5 minutes form the ocean and cannery row. The tourists are always pleasant and happy to be around because their joy is infectious. The locals are happy to be there and very active in the community. I want to live here forever but after I graduate because living here as a student is very hard.
I adore the weather here -- rarely hot or cold, usually pretty comfortable. It's an easy town to get around in and has the right mix of chains and independent stores. Plus it has a See's Candy store and you can never go wrong if one of those is around!
Start Your Review of Monterey
I have just moved to Monterey about 1 month ago. I think this is the perfect place to get settled and raise a family. The citizens are so friendly and willing to help. And there are many great family friendly beaches and outdoor activities. Great place to be active with others!
Monterey is a small town that is simultaneously a time capsule keeping a rich history perfectly preserved, and a bustling tourist center abundant with diversity. It's a coastal town that is largely inhabited by Italians that have been here since Monterey's infancy. One part of Monterey is even referred to as "Spaghetti Hill" because it's where all of the old Italian families live and have lived for many generations. My grandmother lives on Spaghetti Hill. It's a place where everybody knows everybody and has for pretty much their entire lives. Right down the Hill is Alvarado street which is a major tourist attraction and is full of modern restaurants and local cafes. Further down from that is Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium (people come from all around the world to go to the aquarium). Overall, I love Monterey because it's my home and so much of my family history lies here. It's always busy but not in a way that is uncomfortable like a big city. It's perfect.
Something that I like about Monterey is that it is very peaceful. There are gorgeous views, as you feel the salty and misty breeze hit your face. People are pretty friendly.
Very good quiet town with surrounding that will take your breath away!!! Highly recommend for anyone who is interested in outdoor activities
I love the accessibility to outdoor recreation--hiking, biking, surfing, tide-pooling, there's so much to do and it seems like people really take advantage of it! I wish that the public transportation system was better. Many people take cars because the alternative is inconvenient.
Some people are racist, not everyone. There is a lot of diversity in the area. The real estate market is decent, but the prices on properties are a little high in my opinion. The city is pretty safe, even though it is located somewhat close to Salinas. The university located at Marina is good when it comes to diversity, but there are some areas that could be improved upon.
I absolutely love living here. I have traveled throughout many different countries and I think this is one of the most beautiful stretches of coastline that I have ever seen.
I have lived in Monterey for over 40 years and there have been some good changes here such as the window to the bay yet...the homeless population has taken over downtown and the wharf. Monterey caters to the tourist and the residents now have to deal with too much traffic, no parking and the recreational parks, beaches and trails are so crowded on the weekends we are hesitant to go and enjoy them. Downtown is filthy with liter, feces and homeless begging.
Lots of excellent locations for outdoor activities, and tons of delicious food to try. Rent is a little high in some areas so unless you have a really good job you will probably need a roommate or two. For the most part you can walk or ride your bike wherever you need to go in town, and most places are dog friendly!
Pristine beauty. Rich history. Diverse nature. Sparkling ocean. Majestic cliffs. Monterey is the place that people marvel at from planes, read about in Steinbeck novels, and see on raunchy HBO dramas. My experience in Monterey has given me an appreciate for what is, and what could be. Monterey has a small community feel, but has enough tourism so that locals can meet new people every day. The restaurants rank among the best in the world. It is both the quintessential California town, and the antithesis of the typical west coast beach community. Monterey gives me a sense of comfort. My birthplace, where most of the milestones in my life were achieved, will always be a part of me, as well as anyone who is fortunate enough to spend any time there.
People are friendly and there is never traffic!!! It is rarely hot here so it’s sweater weather every day.
Driving anywhere in Monterey is a hassle and parking can be a pain, but luckily the weather is usually good, so walking or biking is a great option. Walking in Monterey is enjoyable; the commercial areas are nice and the sidewalks are well maintained. There are nice amenities for families here. Cost of living is very high, especially for rental houses or apartments.
Great town! no black people though. If you are thinking about moving here make sure your funds are in place. Very beautiful beaches and the people are so nice. If you wanted a healthy and safe environment come to Monterey.
Monterey and the peninsula that shares its name is the jewel of the Central Coast of California. Known in the offices of CEOs across the world, Monterey is a place of innovation and inspiration. It's as if there's something in the air, or maybe it's the lack of things in the air. A 2016 report had Monterey County as the cleanest county in the US for air quality. The people here are relaxed and down to earth, eager to enjoy this beautiful city with you.
Start Your Review of Monterey
Monterey is a good place for sight seeing and walking. Close to the beach and there are just so many things to do I recommend anyone to go.
I really enjoyed living in Monterey California, it is such a beautiful place to be. This town might be hella touristy, but it's so cute! There's some fun shopping, restaurants, and those awesome views of the bay.

If you ever do plan on visiting, Monterey Bay California spend one afternoon at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, do some shopping in Cannery Row, and take a nice stroll on Monterey Bay Coastal Trail. The sunset is one of the most beautiful things you will ever see.

Don't forget to take a ride on the 17-Mile Drive and Mission Basilica. Although these spots aren't technically part of Monterey, it's definitely worth the time to see both. 17-Mile Drive is breathtakingly beautiful, and the mission is a lovely piece of history.
Monterey, it's a fun beautiful place to stop when traveling.
It is a very beautiful place to live. Being right by the ocean gives a person chance to take advantage of all the amenities that are there. There is something there for everyone no matter what your interests my be.