Dunellen Reviews

So disappointed w/my move to this town. The taxes are sky high for nothing. I've yet to see a street cleaner come down my street - - tho I do see plenty of cars racing down it at well over 40 miles/hr in a 25 mile/hr zone. No police to be found. When an ambulance was needed we waited 45 mins for someone to arrive bc the EMT's had to come from the Plainfields. I was told bc Dunellen has very few volunteers. Good to know next time I'm having a heart attack. Your tax bill does not include trash removal nor sewer costs. Most of the houses on the block get water in the basement during heavy rains. Trains barrel through pulling their whistles at all hours of the night & early morning hours and the downtown looks pretty seedy. I worked in this area about 10 yrs ago and it was much nicer then. Putting the house up for sale in the Spring and getting the heck out of Dodge. There is nothing to recommend this town.
The commute has no direct train into NYC making it 2 hours one way, you have to transfer in Newark. It's very run down, yet the property taxes and surprise utility bills keep getting added year after year. The people speeding through the cross streets never ends and the local PD is pretty much useless. It's right next to high crime neighborhoods making the homes in Dunellen a target. There was even a drive by shooting right before we left a block from our house. This will only get worse. The schools are overcrowded, making it near impossible for your kid to get the attention they need. The teachers are young, fresh out of college who don't seem to like their jobs or kids. The PTO/PTA is a stereo typical nightmare. A flood over bored housewives, overbearing parents and embarrassing catty mom squads. So good luck being involved.
It’s a nice town shops close by however the town is beginning to become more dangerous. The feeling of police near by is nice since the town is only a square mile however there isn’t many police here.
Start Your Review of Dunellen
Dunellen is in an area that has parks , places to eat , a train station and close to shopping areas . There are several programs offered for children and families to take part in and a library that offers programs for children to seniors. The schools have activities to help children learn in different ways and the opportunity for students to get involved with the community . If you are interested in getting involved there are several ways to do so and form bonds with people and learn new things about yourself and other .
It is very quiet and there hasn't been any crime activity since I moved here. Also, it is very safe, the mailmen just leave your packages on your steps and no touches it. Also, the people who collect garbage go and get the trash themselves instead of the owner of the house having to put the trash in the front.
The town is changing and improving which I'm happy to see but it's clear that gentrification is starting to get its hands on the town. With the new housing development plans, it's clear that the goal is to bring the value of the town up at the expense of affordability. It's a small town affected by the costs of living in New Jersey- overpriced average living.
It has a nice downtown, some good restaurants and has a train station with service to NYC. I'd like to see more small specialty shops or boutiques. Lots of potential in this little town.
A suburb, but has a small town atmosphere that is perfect for families. There are about 7 parks throughout the town for walks or picnics. The downtown has plenty of excellent dining options from pizza to chicken to bagels. We have a dine in theatre that resembles the traditional ones found years ago rather than a standard AMC theatre. The train station is right in the center of town and can get you to NYC in about an hour.
The center of town is dirty and disheveled. A few nice looking buildings with too many busted up looking dumps. The used car lots don't help the look either! Walking around can be dicey at busy times of day. Cars go well above the 25 mph speed limit on most struts because they are used as cut throughs. The roads are horrific! Most are filled with potholes. Overall the drown is poor and long over due for a new leadership and a new vision that modernizes an otherwise dreary and beaten down looking business district. Maybe 1 or two decent places to eat, the rest are crappy grease joints. Schools are ok for a small town, but size limits opportunities for students.
The one decent thing I can say about the town is the residents are pretty friendly.
Beautiful small town with a collection of old Victorian style homes. There are a handful of local hot spots where everyone is welcome and knows your name. The town is close to everything while still maintaining it's small town charm.
I love this quiet, little town. Great hole in the wall places to eat, several small parks to take your children or dogs, and you can walk pretty much everywhere. I live a half mile from the train that goes directly into NYC. If I need to go to a larger department or grocery store, they are only a 15 minute drive away. I get the convenience without all the hustle and bustle.
My experience so far living in Dunellen is good, its a nice little town. I wish there were more small shops on main street.
Dunellen is a lovely small town. You can always see people that you know and most people are pretty friendly. There are many great ethnic dining opportunities . This one square mile town even has its own local super market.
Overall, my town is very safe. We've had a couple of isolated incidents but that happens everywhere. Because my town is small, the police are never too far away. That in itself is comforting.
I like the area in which I live. People, for the most part, are very friendly. The town is small and the schools are not overcrowded. If I could do it all over again, I would still live here. I'm not sure if I'll be here forever, but for now, I am very happy. I see a good future for my town. I think the local government is taking it in the right direction.
Our town is small but a great community
After a snowstorm, main roads are plowed however many others are not plowed.

Too many potholes, some of which are patched over and not repaired properly.

Road repair and curbs needed on many streets.

Old signs and need for new signage around schools and mjor traffic areas.
Start Your Review of Dunellen
It's true that living in a small town, most everyone know each other, or know someone who know you.

Many families have been town for decades and some centuries, generations of children have grown up here.

Many high school sweethearts have married, moved back, bought homes and raised their children here.

Former students have become hometown teachers, working along side teachers they had as youths.

Your neighbors are friendly and look out for each others property and families.

Parents feel our schools are safe and most children walk to school, knowing that friends and neighbors are watchful.

The downtown area is safe to walk, especcially considering the police station is located in the middle of the block, but ever without that patrons and residents feel safe. Many people jog and walk dogs or just take a stroll at night, because the streets are well lit.
We have four seasons, an occassion snow storm or tropical storm which causes flooding in certain areas, but does not impact the entire town.
Within my town, there are no job opportunities beyond working in a restuarant, hair salon, small retail store.

We have no industry or small or large corporate business .

many of our surrounding towns offer theses opportunities, which make our town a " bedroom town" - a great place to live, but you have to travel to get a good job.