1. Town in Iowa

Burlington Reviews

My experiences in Burlington are good and bad. One experience that sticks out the worst is a six-teen year old boy was murdered because he was gay. His body was found in an alley. As a parent I could only imagine the pain that mother felt in her heart. Burlington was a wonderful place to live. I use to be able to walk down the street a little bit after dark. Now I wouldn't even left my daughter play in the front yard.
A relatively small community with a chronic affordable housing crisis, rent is rather high compared to the number of steady jobs available. Crime is high for such a small area as well. Police unable to deal with large city violence that has crept into the community.
The roads are maintained alright. They get potholes, but they get fixed once a year. The police are around a lot. However, they aren't very fast at solving crimes.
New businesses have brought in a lot of new residents. As a result, retail is booming, which is producing even more jobs for those that already lived here.
The rent is high for poor looking houses. Most of the houses are old and falling apart. A lot of abandoned properties. The best place to live is on the river side. Worst place to live is around the downtown area due to crime rates.
People tend to stay in this area because they cannot afford anything else. There are a lot of pets so it is somewhat pet friendly. Not a lot of community events.
There are a lot of fights and shootings. Also, there are frequent robbings. It does not feel safe. I see police mostly when they are trying to catch speeders but otherwise not a lot of police around.
There is not much to do for high school or college students. There is a lot of crime in this area. Their is an amazing view of the Mississippi River. I wouldn't choose to live here again if I had a choice. It's not the worst place in the country, but it certainly is not the best place either. I hope that Burlington makes a comeback and becomes a better place to live and work.
I like where I live now. Its quiet, the neighborhood is small and away from alot of traffic. I have only lived here for 7 years. But sometimes I wish I were back in my old neighbhood.
Always sunny. The hidden Florida of the Midwest.
Food and drinks are plentiful here.
I appreciate the job opportunities in this area.
It's great overall. There are problems here and there, but overall, it's not bad. A good place to live. Great for children. Quiet but amazing community.
I like the location, and I loved growing up here
There's there's sort of cycle in winter. Every about 5-7 years there's like one year when the snow falls really heavy, and except for that one year there are practically no snow days. I do recall there being a few fog delays though. It's on the Mississippi, so every now and then there was a day when you couldn't see more than like 5 feet in front of you, and school got delayed. I've never seen a tornado hit, but I've seen a few in the distance, particularly in may/june. Every few years there's a large flood, but it rarely gets to the level of the courthouse, the last major flood was the flood of 93, though the flood of 08 did some damage too. Most years there's sandbags down by the river, but it's rare for it to rise more than 5-10 feet, and because burlington is on hills, it doesn't reach homes
I don't usually go out so while I know the fast food places, and the special occasion places, I don't really know the drinking places
I'm going into computer science, and while there are jobs in the area, they're helpdesk/ fixit, which is (I can do it) not what I want my specialization to be
There are some good businesses in the area, that I like. Notably Nature's Corner downtown and Grandpas's ice cream. Nature's corner is sort of all into natural essential oils and herbs. Mostly I go there because they make different types of snacks(candyish) like sugar and sour cream almonds(awesome), chocolate covered coffee beans, various flavors of yogurt covered pretzels. They have an entire wall of different types of things like that, they sell by the pound.

Grandpa's Ice Cream is also awesome, they try to bring in new flavors occasionally, and I've never been there and seen less than 10 flavors, usually I see about 20. I know my sister likes it because they don't use food dyes, I like it because it gives my a chance to try different flavors, and see how well different ice cream goes together. Grandpas's in on Roosevelt.

Actually most of the "mom and pop" stores are downtown on Jefferson, like digger's rest (coffee, they've got some good ones to), weird harold's, a number of boutique's now that I think about it. Oh and Napoli's which is an awesome pizza place. There's a gallery, though I haven't looked at what they have in like 7 years since they moved to the downtown location. Most of the main stores we have are on roosevelt, or shortly off of it, though walmart and Hy-Vee are on Agency street. Fast food places are on roosevelt. But the major chains are all in the area too, dollar tree, shopko. There aren't lot of the major cloting retailers though, but there is a marshall's and a younkers.
Before anyone gets ideas that I'm elitist or that because I believe homosexuality to be a sin, and I don't believe in same sex marriage, do I believe it's ok to treat anyone without consideration and respect. We are to love everyone as God does. We are to treat one another with common courtesy and never be rude or unkind. I don't believe anyone should be treated badly because they are different, nor do I believe they should be entitled to special privileges either. I don't talk about what my sexual preferences are and push my agendas down people's throats and I don't like it when it's done to me.
On more than on occasion I have written to one representative or another regarding some issue. Much to my consternation, I was told that they were going to vote in the way that they thought was best (the politically correct way) not in the way that their constituents wanted them to vote and I almost felt as if it were the intent of the letter to chide me for not having a p.c. opinion insinuating that my perspective was incorrect. I vote for what I believe to be morally and ethically correct, not what's politically correct and I expect my representatives to have integrity and vote for their majority constituents, not the highest financial contributing group.