1. Suburb of Detroit, MI

Berkley Reviews

Small and safe suburb about 20 minutes outside of Detroit that is right next to Royal Oak. There are many great restaurants, parks, and shops. Beaumont Hospital and the Detroit Zoo is nearby in Royal Oak, about a 10 minute drive. There is a weekly farmer's market and plenty of grocery stores in
Berkley is a wonderful city to live in. It has an excellent school district that has been in Newsweek for the past 7 years as being one of the top school districts in the country. It has a wonderful business district and the housing market has increased dramatically over the last few years. People are flocking to Berkley!
I love the Small town feel and quaintness that Berkley offers. I wish that that downtown was a little nicer
Very small town. Lots of little shops, but still not much to do. Good neighborhood for raising a family. Has 3 elementary schools, a middle and a high school. Wish the movie theater was still open.
Police are visible everywhere. I live on a non-busy road and I usually see a police car drive by at lease once or twice a day, including night time as well. Crime is going to happen, but when it does, it appears as though the police take it very seriously. I feel safe enough to walk my dogs at nighttime.
Berkley is one of the best towns to live in around the Metro Detroit area. You get that small town feel in a big area. Berkley is centrally located, meaning everything in the Metro Detroit area is within a half hour drive. The downtown area is constantly remodeling and rebuilding to make it look better. I grew up in the country and have lived here because of work. I prefer to live in the country, but Berkley is the best city-living since I have to live in the city.
It's a great place to live, very safe. If anything, the city & police tend to be over cautious but better safe than sorry.
Small town with a friendly, family like atmosphere, and just the right amount of bustle & activity. The schools are top rated with the best & most caring educators around.
There are not many major crimes that happen in Berkley. :)
The school system is really good here, and I like the atmosphere. It's also close to downtown Royal Oak, which is fun to walk through.
Low amount of crimes, crimes are typically just related to property. Police very responsive, especially for minor driving errors.
I would probably choose to live in a similar community when I move, however I would never choose to live in this particular city again.
There generally is nothing to worry about safety and crime wise. The worst thing that I have head about is someone taking off the tires and scratching up a car at night when the car was left out in the driveway.
I live living in the Berkley area. There are nice people all throughout the town, all with great values. However, being so close to Detroit, the traffic is crazy and thus makes timing all the more important. I now know after living here that I need to leave at least fifteen minutes before I think I should leave so that I can make it to places on time.
Not a lot seems to happen in the area as far as crime goes, and when something does occur it's never much cause for concern. The police can be seen driving around and making sure everything is safe, so overall there is a great sense of security.
There're plenty of small businesses owned by locals, which is wonderful! The atmosphere is great year-round, but especially during summer while the town preps for the Woodward Dream Cruise. It's small, but close enough to bigger towns so that you're never too far from finding something new to do. That being said, it seems to be lacking in "hot spots" to hang out which almost forces a lot of teenage business away. Hopefully, that will change in the future. There are a lot of stores that have been opening or getting renovated so the future looks bright for the area!
This is a great area especially in the summer. There are a lot of activities for anyone.
Living in Berkley Michigan has opened me up to a lot of diversity. Not only racial but socioeconomically diversity as well. The school system is close and within walking distance and I never felt unsafe walking to or from school. The people are friendly and are welcoming to everyone. The only drawback is that there is not much outdoor stuff to do. You have to drive 15-20 minutes to get to the nearest metro park so a lot of time is spent hanging out in restaurants or just peoples houses.
The people here are healthy but not in the best shape. Drugs and alcohol use us abundant and apparent to those who live in the community. Gyms are accessible but not over used, and childhood obesity is prominent around here. More has to be done to get children into better eating and exercise habits
Everything is in close proximity of each other so business and running errands is convenient. This is not the type of town that has anything that stands out, other than the local sports bar.