1. Suburb of New York City, NY

Beacon Reviews

nice choice of restaurants, cool thrift and antique shops. The new museum is very interesting and there is a great river front.
Beacon is a family friendly town. It is quiet, clean and very family orientated. In the recent years, the town has become very artsy and many vintage shops and cafes have emerged on Main street. I would like to see the nightlife in Beacon increase because after a certain hour the entire town is closed.
Beacon, New York is about one and a half hour north of New York City. It is a great place for a weekend getaway. The main street is fill with restaurants and beautiful shops , where one can find lovely gifts, from art to antiques and more. There is a theater built in the 1930's that offers productions throughout the year and in the summer one can enjoy a variety of activities at the water front.
Beacon is often referred to as "Brooklyn North" - It is full of art galleries, fun places to eat and local shops.
I personally love Beacon. I moved here when I was 6 and I am now 17. All the schools were very good. The teachers were all very into their jobs and did everything they could to help their students. The town itself if very nice as well. We all come together and help each other and keep each other safe. Because it is a smaller city, a lot of people know each other or have family who live here as well, so it makes it seem like we are all connected somehow. One thing I would change would be more spirit in our schools. The schools have bits and pieces of good spirit but as a whole there is not a lot of school spirit running through the halls of our school.
Cost of housing is outrageous. Expensive.
people are being forced out and the community is changing not in a positive cost effective manner.
NYC people moving up here and the cost of living is rising. It getting expensive to be a resident here. Renting or owning a home due to taxes.
Do I feel safe? Yes! Do you need to be smart at times? Yes! For the most part, Beacon is safe. There are areas to avoid and you do read about burglaries, vandalism and minor assaults in the police blotter.
I was born and raised in the area and moved away to attended College. Life, jobs , family and starting a family brought us back. When we first moved back in 2002 there where great hopes that in the future would be bright for Beacon and watched our property value tumble. After a slow and steady start, our city has undergone a huge revitalization and is the place to live along the Hudson River. We benefit form beautiful hiking trails, the majestic hudson river, a thriving main street and environmentally aware citizens. The fact that fining a parking spot on main street is challenging at times is a good problem to have.
Most beautiful rural town I have ever seen. Lots of natural beauty, geographic locations, rivers, streams, mountains, fields, and more! I never want to leave.
I have volunteered for the local Ambulance Corps myself and have seen fast reaction times for firefighters and policemen.
Definitely an affordable, beautiful, quiet area that is great for raising families and living peacefully.
There is some crime, but lots of security, cameras, and good people in our area that keep watch and report suspicious activity.
My location has never been negatively affected by weather besides rare flooding, blizzards and sometimes power outages every 3 or so years.
Lots of nice restaurants with a variety of different foods to try. I don't participate in nightlife events but have heard great things.
A lot of good people reside in this area. Abundance of restaurants, galleries, historical areas, recreational playgrounds, trails, kayaking, boating and more! Access to the Ferry, sailing across the Hudson River, a train station and more. Diverse and proud people are here.
I feel that most people in this area work in the major cities because their salary has the chance to be better.
All things could use some improvement. But the city has come a long ways compaired to what it use to be years ago.