Amherst Reviews

Amherst is a great town however it has very little racial diversity. I got a great education in Amherst as it also is surrounded by 5 fabulous colleges (Amherst, UMass, Holyoke, Hampshire, and Smith). It is right by the town of Northampton, which has plenty to do and great food!
The latest controversy on public school funding has really offset half of the community. Plus EMS services need to be improved drastically since it is a Five College area. Too many emergency calls with low staff makes me worry about general taxes and safety. I hope the town overcomes the challenges as my family and I love living here. It is a bucolic vision with the farmer's market, diverse population, and good restaurants. The small shops are staples in this community which really bring people together.
It's a good town, needs some more diversity! Good public schools, decent roads, thriving but little downtown.
Review Amherst
A family-friendly community that holds many events. A huge environmental and sustainability mindset. A fun place to hang around on the weekends and plenty of small shops and eateries to check out. It is also close to several colleges which are connected by the PVTA bus service. Easy to get around.
Great relaxing feeling, away from the big city life.
Wish there were more jobs for students pertaining to their career.
Amherst is a wonderful small town crossed with bustling college city. Having both grown up and gone to college in Amherst, I've seen both sides. There's a diverse population of friendly open minded people, and almost everyone is associated in some way with the five colleges. There are lots of great cafes and restaurants, and the art scene is alive and well, but you'll have to take a quick bus to Northampton for any real nightlife other than the couple of bars in town.
Amherst has beautiful farmlands, open spaces, and cute homes. However, it is FULL of college students and academia. During the school year it is difficult to find non-professional jobs and affordable housing. Keep in mind while it is a small city, as well as Northampton, it is still fairly rural. This means things close early and public transit isn't great. There are buses but they aren't frequent and they don't run as much during the summer. I would suggest looking to Turner Falls instead.
I have been living in Amherst for over 10 years. I came here for school and fell in love with the area! Such a beautiful place to live.
Amherst is a beautiful town located in the Pioneer Valley in Western Massachusetts. It's a very nice place especially for families with a lot of activities for kids of all ages and people are very kind and always available to help you.
I like that is a small town that holds activities, festivals, and block parties for all people. The down town area is small but has many different food shops from different ethnic backgrounds. Nightlife can be fun when pubs hold events. They have a few different barber shops and hair salons giving you options to choose from. The local Amherst cinema has a nice small sized theater that I've been to a couple of times, their prices on snack may be a bit pricey but they offer alcoholic beverages which is a nice plus. Everything is nearby and accessible in the neighboring town Hadley, such as target and walmart.
Amherst center is always intriguing. There are all these little hole-in-the-wall places that would take years to fully explore them all. I love the constant wonder of what things are when I walk down the street and the diversity of the crowds are always worth looking up from your smartphone. I love the small Hiking trail Amethyst Brook, it's a perfect place to climb tree with friends, or just go for a nature walk. Amherst is a great place to live during college, it definitely is a college town and that makes it even more exciting.
Amherst is an adorable town filled with families and college students. The food options around town never disappoint and the feel of the town in general is very comforting and warm. The weather can get very cold in the winter, but for the most part the town has very pleasant weather. The people around town are very kind and welcoming. I feel safe in this town.
Wonderful place to live. Bus system is top notch. Local grocery store (review space will not let me spell out name) the name begins with A is inexpensive and good quality of products. Wild Wood Elementary School is one of the best in this county. Because of the population; a good chunk are students, the town is not as busy in the summer and there are a lot of summer activities for kids.
expand to provide more businesses and give student discounts please! I like the food and coffeeshops and restaurants. There are many child-friendly and student-friendly spaces particularly since there are 3 colleges in amherst! I enjoy living here except it gets rowdy around college campuses on the weekends. Not fun for non-drinkers and quiet-lovers.
In my neighborhood there is very little crime that takes place. Generally, the community is made up of relatively new houses, in an area that is somewhat private and off the radar.
I would definitely live here my whole life, if I wanted to. There is no place like the Pioneer Valley - so many unique people. The five colleges attract a ton of diversity and life into the valley, and generally people are pretty liberal like I am. I definitely appreciate the local restaurants and businesses, and the sense of community from everyone who gets involved with the events that take place every year in town (specifically Amherst for me). I do personally enjoy the small-town feel, and the ability to do so many activities outside and be so connected with nature and wildlife is a gift. I do like city life, but something about the quiet peace of living in a unique area like Amherst is a feeling that I will search for in many places I visit in the future.
I feel extremely safe here, it has never been a major problem.
Review Amherst
Honestly, Amherst has provided all the opportunities that I could ask for. It is a beautiful place, and a great town to grow up in.
Ok wish there was more opportunities
Everything within 10 mile radius