Altoona Reviews

Altoona is big town with little opportunity. Chain restaurants have taken over Altoona and killed all of the small business that have grown with this town.
Ive lived here all my life it used to be a nice town but with all the drug traffic coming through it is becoming a slum
Good selection of restaurants and shopping. Small city with a good selection of entertainment. Family friendly.
Review Altoona
I have lived here all my life. My children go to the same high school that their grandparents and myself graduated from. I feel safe here, and I don't have to drive very far to get where I need to get in the city.
I have lived here all of my life and it is and will always be home to me. There are nice places to go and so many locals who remember you. There is always something new being built in this town so its nice to see the choices. There is an increase in diversity among the people in recent years which makes living here better.
I was born and raised in this town. It is a nice small town with lots of potential for growth which it has seen the last couple years. Downtown has shown considerable growth and new business have been popping up left and right. This town has a great love for sports recreational and organized events all year long. The school here are very good. There are a variety of fine restaurant to eat at and many local family owned ones too. I love my home town and I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a quiet, kid-friendly town to raise their family. A place where everyone knows every. Safe and low crime rate.
It is a great town to raise a family. I wish there were more things to do in town but still things to do in this area.
Altoona has been my home town for about twenty four years now. Located in the heart of PA, you can discover many things about this town. Although there is a lot of beauty to offer, there also is some revamping that could make this city a more enjoyable place to live. The downtown section of this town is very worn. Small businesses, and the buildings alone are just falling apart. Downtown is a place to bring culture and unfortunately it does not. More restaurants, and nightlife would bring a spark, and maybe even more family oriented businesses. The community is definitely a plus. When it comes to festivals, helping each other, and coming together for a tragedy, the town does great. The cost of living is pretty descent. From a young adult being able to afford an apartment, to a family being able to live comfortably in home, it is doable. I would say all in all this town has potential, and a great place to live life.
I like that it a small city and everything is close. You don't have to drive far to get anywhere. Altoona also has a lot great history. I enjoy seeing the mountains everyday.
I would like to see our town become more college friendly with more opportunities for growth and experiences improving. I have had an overall good experience living in Altoona. I have been a native most of my life and I'm supportive of my community. I feel as though if we worked to become more inclusive of the Penn State Altoona students that come in and out of town frequently we could improve our town as well as the experiences of those visiting us.
"City" part of a rural area, not extremely clean but decently friendly. Many businesses in the area, great place to work. Restaurants everywhere that could cure any food craving you are having. Overall a very up and coming city, always adding more and looking to improve. If you work in Altoona, but would rather not live in the close housing area. There are many areas right outside the city that are rather rural, clean, and friendly.
Altoona PA is a town that used to be a great place to live. However, being in-between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and drugs getting worse they are also getting worse here. Heroine is the biggest drug problem around here and nobody feels safe anymore. This is a town I grew up in, and this is a town I will not raise a family in.
Altoona is one of the city surrouned by alot of farm communites. Although I am originally from these smaller places i have lived in altoona for the past 6 years. It does have a number of things to do and plenty of places to eat. But the homes look like they are falling apart and the people need to bath.
There's nothing to really do in Altoona except shop. The mall is outdated and needs to be bigger, there needs to be more restaurants, and more venues.
Altoona is just okay. Not great, but not horrible either. It has its pros and cons just like any other city. The downtown is starting to come alive again thanks to Penn State's revitalization efforts. Their are some fun things to do, but you really have to do some digging to find them. However, the area itself is boring and is deprived of any culture or nightlife. Their is very little diversity as the areas population is predominately white and over the age of 50. Young people that grew up here end up leaving after high school, as good paying jobs are hard to find unless your in the medical field. Which the hospital is the city's largest employer by the way. People can be friendly, but not really genuine. The people of Altoona have a very closed minded attitude and are very resistant to change. They long too much for the "good old days" and wish it were the 40's & 50's again. Altoona is a good place to go if your ready to retire, however if your young, I would look elsewhere.
Altoona, PA is a nice town with a lot of restraunts to eat out at. The downtown area of Altoona is currently being remodeled after being run down for a while. Sheetz food is amazing and there happens to be a Sheetz every few blocks from each other.
Altoona is an old railroading town in Central Pa. The economy is difficult and people are obviously struggling there. There are lots of new shopping opportunities, not many opportunities for people to make a living however. People in the older neighborhoods are very kind and always willing to help one another out. In the wealthier sections, people don't even know their neighbor's names. PSU is a bright spot here and is about the only source of culture to be found. There are few parks or places for children, even fewer healthy places for teens. There used to be pool halls, a skateboard park, and more play parks. Things to see are the horseshoe curve, and Wopsy lookout. The malls are completely commercial and you will have to attend the farmer's market of look downtown if you want to find anything original or to support small business. This is a good place to visit if you need to do some mall shopping or to spend your first 4 years of college, then a nice place to leave.
Review Altoona
Altoona is an okay city. The crime rate and drug rate is an ongoing concern for safety. Many stores have been going out of business which causes job loss to people. It is a small town, and it would be nice to have more job opportunities.
I liked and still till this day like the town Altoona. Even though sometimes there are a lot of people disliking the other race than what they see. Altoona is a great town/city to live in and raise a family.
I feel that there is a good sense of community overall. There is sometimes political issues, but there is more peaceful encounters than violent. There is good food, but not a lot of options for youth to participate in. There are many safe areas and neighborhoods but a few with concerns.