Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesC
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Yough Senior High School is a public school located in Herminie, PA. It has 655 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 72% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Yough Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+70 Students
- A66 Students
- C61 Students
- B-50 Students
- B-47 Students
- B-43 Students
- A-40 Students
- B39 Students
- B-38 Students
- B-37 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.13 responses
Schools like Yough Senior High School
- BElizabeth Forward Senior High School
- Elizabeth Forward School District, PA
- 94 reviews
- CFrazier High School
- Frazier School District, PA
- 104 reviews
- BGreensburg-Salem High School
- Greensburg Salem School District, PA
- 208 reviews
- C+Charleroi Area High School
- Charleroi School District, PA
- 96 reviews
Yough Senior High School Reviews
My time at Yough Senior High School was pleasant, and the academics were challenging with AP classes. For the typical classes though, I do not believe all assignments or overall coursework was challenging for students. I also think as a heavily white-dominated school, it would have been more beneficial to also have facilitated conversations regarding social issues of today. I would love to see Yough Senior High School use more culturally responsive teaching practices, as well as grading practices that are more inclusive to all eight intelligences. I would also like to see more hands-on activities, as well as more conversations around racism, poverty, and human rights.
All of the teachers care about each student. If one has a bad day they all ask how they can help, along with making sure we all understand the information. As a senior, all of my current teachers are making sure I take all the steps to my future. Besides the teachers, the office secretaries are very helpful with anything needed. The school is older but the janitors do well at keeping it clean. Every nine weeks the school even has emergency drills so if anything were to happen all the students know what to do and where to go.
At Yough, I enjoyed being able to know the majority of the people in the school, as it is fairly small. Almost all of my teachers were personable, kind, and helpful. However, I feel as though the various staff members can treat us like young children, rather than young adults.