Yorktown High School is a highly rated, public school located in Yorktown Heights, NY. It has 1,226 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Yorktown High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A140 Students
- A+117 Students
- A-105 Students
- A+91 Students
- A-87 Students
- A+80 Students
- A76 Students
- A+72 Students
- A71 Students
- A-70 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.24 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.24 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 55 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.43 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like Yorktown High School
- AHaldane High School
- Haldane Central School District, NY
- 45 reviews
- A+Somers Senior High School
- Somers Central School District, NY
- 119 reviews
- A+Pleasantville High School
- Pleasantville Union Free School District, NY
- 37 reviews
- ANorth Salem Middle/High School
- North Salem Central School District, NY
- 70 reviews
Yorktown High School Reviews
As a student attending YHS, I can confidently say that I am proud to be a husker. YHS is where I've built lifelong memories and friends, all while maintain an "A" average (which will look great to colleges). We have top tier sports programs, especially in Lacrosse (even if I am not athletic), uplifting our school spirit. Our science research program (which I have been so lucky to be a part of) dominates in county/local competition and has enabled many bright young minds to present research on the international level. Yes there will be exceptions, but in general the teachers are great. I feel as though I am treated as an adult (and friend) by many of the teachers. The student body is very friendly and clearly mature. I can only say the same things about the remaining staff and administration. Overall, I love YHS and couldn't imagine my life in any other school district!
Yorktown High School is close to the center of the town of Yorktown. It is very safe, over the years new rules have been put in place. Students are watched closely, but at the same time given freedom. Sports teams are excellent, and often win, or almost win, section titles. Teachers overall are good, except a few who are known to be awful. Clean, decent food, many options in the cafeteria. Friendly administration. Not very diverse, but Westchester isn't in general. Nearly all students go to college after YHS, not going is considered odd. There are many resources during your junior and senior year to help with the college process. Lots of clubs and opportunities for everyone in sports, music, etc.
YHS has wonderful academic opportunities. Many of the teachers are absolutely fantastic, however, the student body can make it a difficult place to find where you fit in. There are so many different cliques that making new friends can be extremely difficult. Overall, though, the school provides great academic and athletic opportunities.