Yorktown High School is a top rated, public school located in Yorktown Heights, NY. It has 1,217 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Yorktown High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-145 Students
- A+121 Students
- A-108 Students
- A+95 Students
- A-92 Students
- A+85 Students
- A80 Students
- A+74 Students
- A-73 Students
- A70 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.24 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.24 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 55 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.43 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like Yorktown High School
- AHaldane High School
- Haldane Central School District, NY
- 48 reviews
- ASomers Senior High School
- Somers Central School District, NY
- 129 reviews
- A+Pleasantville High School
- Pleasantville Union Free School District, NY
- 37 reviews
- A-North Salem Middle/High School
- North Salem Central School District, NY
- 72 reviews
Yorktown High School Reviews
As a student attending YHS, I can confidently say that I am proud to be a husker. YHS is where I've built lifelong memories and friends, all while maintain an "A" average (which will look great to colleges). We have top tier sports programs, especially in Lacrosse (even if I am not athletic), uplifting our school spirit. Our science research program (which I have been so lucky to be a part of) dominates in county/local competition and has enabled many bright young minds to present research on the international level. Yes there will be exceptions, but in general the teachers are great. I feel as though I am treated as an adult (and friend) by many of the teachers. The student body is very friendly and clearly mature. I can only say the same things about the remaining staff and administration. Overall, I love YHS and couldn't imagine my life in any other school district!
The campus was quite dull. They used most of the money for irrelevant things such as bean bags in the library which they ended up removing only a few months later (btw we still need air conditioners). There was a garden which had withering flowers and a gigantic clock tower that the school enclosed and it was an eyesore. Parking is horrible. But despite all of that, YHS has some of the best teachers you will ever find. Now by best I definitely mean personality wise--um teaching is so so. They hired some thirty year old guy that reuses powerpoint presentations from the very first time he ever started teaching. Yeah... you can already tell he's not that good of a teacher. But because of how approachable many of the teachers where, I have many memorable experiences with them and they definitely will help you because they will never leave their students behind.
Academically, there are a plethora of challenging classes for students to take, and it is very easy to register for these classes. The majority of the teachers are both kind and intelligent, and can teach their courses at a very high level. They are also quite understanding and receptive when students need extra help or they need to make up work. There are various clubs and sports for people to participate in, and there's a high emphasis on extracurriculars in the school community. As a whole, I feel it has prepared me very well for college.