York High School is an above average, public school located in York, ME. It has 573 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 10 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
York High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+57 Students
- A-49 Students
- A+37 Students
- C+31 Students
- A+27 Students
- A-27 Students
- B26 Students
- A25 Students
- A+22 Students
- A+19 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.18 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like York High School
- A-Kennebunk High School
- Regional School Unit No. 21 (MSAD 21), ME
- 105 reviews
- A-Wells High School
- Wells-Ogunquit Charter School District, ME
- 110 reviews
- B+Marshwood High School
- Regional School Unit No. 35 (MSAD 35), ME
- 114 reviews
- BRobert W. Traip Academy
- Kittery Public Schools, ME
- 67 reviews
York High School Reviews
York High School has some wonderful attributes as well as some not-so-wonderful attributes, like most public high schools. I personally had particularly good experiences in music and social studies departments, as well as a few really remarkable English teachers. However, the science department is thoroughly lacking, as is the administration, the overall diversity of the place, and the attitude of the students.
York High School was great if you were a star athlete or in the top 15%, otherwise there's no point in going. The administration changed every year I was there (so four times) and got worse with each change. Completely unfair rules were enforced while rules that were beneficial for students were not. We barely learned anything from most required classes and 90% of us at least felt we were not ready for college after graduation. Overall I liked the school because I felt safe (York is really small) and the classes weren't horribly difficult and overwhelming. There was not much else to like.
Definitely not inclusive, especially of kids who aren’t athletes. Turnover in administration is a big problem in this town, especially at the high school. No diversity whatsoever.