York Community High School is a top rated, public school located in Elmhurst, IL. It has 2,643 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 26% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
York Community High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+367 Students
- A+255 Students
- A-196 Students
- A189 Students
- B+168 Students
- A-160 Students
- A+151 Students
- A145 Students
- A-142 Students
- B-129 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.35 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.35 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.62 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.62 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.62 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.69 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.69 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.69 responses
Schools like York Community High School
- A+Lyons Township High School
- Public School
- La Grange, IL
- 588 reviews
- A+North High School
- Community High School District No. 99, IL
- 279 reviews
- A+St. Charles East High School
- St. Charles Community Unit School District No. 303, IL
- 434 reviews
- A+Wheaton North High School
- Community Unit School District No. 200, IL
- 301 reviews
York Community High School Reviews
I had a great high school experience at York! I had so many great teachers that they outweigh some of the not so great teachers I've had. If you try and make an effort, your teachers will help you succeed. I also took advantage of some of the resources they had like the math lab. Elmhurst is a runner's town so cross country and track are the school's best sports. The football team isn't good though. If there's anything bad about this school, it is its huge drug problem but administration doesn't really do much about it.
I thought that I was very lucky in terms of the opportunities I was offered at York Community High School. I was lucky to be able to join a wonderful gymnastics where I felt I could expand my strengths as a gymnast and also participate in four years of choir in our fine arts program. However, there were many flaws within individual departments. The math teachers, for the most part, were responsive to students and encouraged them and helped explain things in a way that everybody could understand. However, other teachers in other departments when talking about issues were extremely biased and it was clear only one viewpoint-theirs- was allowed in the classroom. This discouraged many students from learning the material when it was presented in judgement. Overall, I was able to further build my knowledge base at York and take some classes throughout the years that were specific to my interests, but the administration often posed problems for students.
York Community High School is a very large, well kept school. I am proud to be a student here because of the close community and the diversity. The teachers all excel in their areas of study and go well beyond to teach their students and give individual attention when needed. With such a large population of students, it is difficult for anyone to maintain order at all times, but at York all matters and handled seriously and effectively. Attending this school there are rewards for academic excellence and good behavior. One of my personal favorite parts of this school is the wide variety of classes to choose from and unique skills taken from each. There are also handfuls of clubs and sports to appeal to all student interests. With students from all kinds of backgrounds, there is the opportunity to open or join clubs that unite people with similar interests or cultures.