YES Prep - Southwest is an above average, public, charter school located in Houston, TX. It has 925 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 74% of students are at least proficient in math and 49% in reading.
YES Prep - Southwest Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-213 Students
- B196 Students
- B+119 Students
- A+92 Students
- A+87 Students
- B-85 Students
- B80 Students
- B75 Students
- C+72 Students
- B69 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.24 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.24 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 55 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
YES Prep - Southwest Reviews
Some certain aspects that I liked about YES Prep Southwest are how much the teachers believe in their students and motivate them to do the best that they can. The school's environment is that everyone has the ability to attend a college/university after graduating high school and that YES Prep will help the students get there. Not only do Yes Prep teachers and administrators believe that all students can succeed in college, but also in what their students decide to pursue after their time at YES Prep and as they are starting their lives. Even though there are many great things about YES Prep, if there was one thing that I would like to change it would be the number of electives and AP classes offered. I would like to add more options so that students can have more access to learn different subjects that is not offered in their core classes. Students will be able to gain more insight into the different subjects and also see what they would like to do after high school/their future.
Though YES Prep Southwest lacks what the traditional high school has, such as multiple sports, clubs, homecoming, etc.. it consists of teachers who are dedicated to help us learn and lead us to the college pathway. Assignments and lessons are completed with paper- not IPAD's or Laptops. The learning environment is outstanding and positively outweighs the facts that we do not have "the normal" things that the high schools in today's society have. I am grateful I've attended this school since 6th grade and I am ready to finish off my senior year strong!
I liked how the teachers and staff really pushed students to do their absolute best and to never give up. They actually care about students’ futures. However, there is such a thing as pushing too much and having super high expectations of someone. And they were really strict about little things. They say that things can be talked through but they can be stubborn sometimes and don’t like admitting that they are wrong. Other than that, their academics were pretty well.