Wylie E. Groves High School Reviews

The teachers are great, for the most part. A few that don't seem to treat students with respect, but that's true at most schools, I would guess. The students are mostly trapped in their own bubble and aren't very good at seeing outside of it, but the quality of education is good.
I liked the opportunity to take honors and AP classes. Groves had optional X-block (study hall) twice a week. It also had blended classes which gave me the opportunity to test out a college-type schedule. The opportunities to become involved in sports, music and art were great. Groves offered freshman, jv and varsity sports, as well as intramural sports. It also had special athletic events for students with disabilities. You could join the National Honors Society if you had good grades. There was also a small student-led group called Claim Your Campus. All types of groups and interests were represented by Groves' organizations. Groves also had a very diverse student body (about 30% white, 30% Jewish, 30 % black) which allowed me to learn from other people's perspectives. Overall, I would say that Groves gave me a rich high school experience.
My school is very diverse we have black, white, Mexican, latino, Native American, Indian, and many more. The students get along with each other very well we don't have any fights and safety is not an issue. We have security guards at every main entrance and we also have cameras in our parking lots and by the entrance doors. We have clubs within our school that allow students to be involved with to make sure their voices are heard. For example we have African Americans Change in Tomorow (AACT), Interact club, Women's Empowerment Club, Gay Straight Alliance, and many more.
Start Your Review of Wylie E. Groves High School
I’m in my senior year attending Groves high school. My experience with the school was pretty straight forward. If I had to redo high school again would I select a different high school? Yes. could I bare to attend groves again? Of course. Overall Groves is a great education space, but socially for me it wasn’t the best, not that that’s what school is about. I wish It were more diverse in my undergrad years like it is now, and I also wish the school was more open to letting teens from other districts to attend festivities; that way we can be a diverse company and make things more diverse. Also, security could be a little more tighter; recently students from other high schools have been able to walk right into the school with intentions of picking fights.
The teachers and staff are great. They really seem to care and look for ways to do the best for their students. We have lota of options for extra cirriculars and clubs.
People expect Birmingham schools to be well kept, Groves has a lot of shortcomings. The bathrooms are disgusting, kids break mirrors and toilets. The building itself is getting old and coukd definitely use some updates.
Wylie E. Groves is an excellent school fit for anyone and all interest. There are over 50+ clubs and activities ranging from baseball and gymnastics to debate club and animal amnesty club! The teachers are extremely helpful and always have time outside of class to help students who are struggling. It's always fun to go to basketball or football games on Fridays nights! My advice: find your cliche, work hard, and have fun!
Of course every school has their downfalls, but overall, I loved my high school experience at Wylie E. Groves (Groves for short). The atmosphere of the school as a whole was a positive atmosphere. The administration team was helpful and always offered guidance to the best of their capabilities. The teachers want you to succeed, they aren't there to set you up to fail. The school spirit is high and overall, everyone gets along. I personally never felt any discrimination. The only thing I would change is how the funds for the athletic program gets dispersed, as it is clear that some teams receive more funds than others.
Teachers and staff really care about your success here. Teachers are always available during x-block, lunch, and after school and are overall extremely accessible. A wide range of AP and honors classes are offered as well as additional support for those who need it (tutoring every thursday etc.). There is also a very supportive environment for students with special needs through the LINKS club and other support services.
It's a good school, lots of great opportunities. The classes are often very good and there are a lot of amazing opportunities. But it's still high school, amirite?
Wylie E Groves is an amazing high school with lots of clubs and opportunities for students to get involved.
Throughout my four years at Wylie E. Groves High School I experienced highs and lows, but I can say my overall experience was very good. There has not been one teacher that I did not like, the staff is very willing to help and be there for you. Questions are encouraged, which in my opinion is very important. The school is very clean and welcoming. The students there are for the most part respectful and diverse. Coming from a different middle school than the rest of the kids, it was a bit of a struggle. I acclimated quickly to the new people and school and it ended up being a good place to be.
I love the people at Groves, whether it’s the faculty, or the other students. The teaching styles are great and the environment is very accepting. The only thing I would critique is that the bathroom’s are never clean and it’s gross!
A decent environment, would be nice if it were a managed better by administration. Overall a good school considering that it is a public school and the area that it is in
I am going to be a high school senior this upcoming fall and I can tell you that Wylie E. Groves is a great place to be. First thing that I love about Groves is how welcoming they are to their freshman, they have a couple of mentoring programs that help freshman get settled in before they start their first day of school. Another thing about Groves is that there are so many after school clubs that anyone can be apart of. If there is only one thing about Groves is I believe that the Groves Counseling Department should have a better outreach program to their students.
I appreciated the opportunities I had while attending Groves, I feel most of my teachers did prepare me for college but I would like to see more open diversity.
I like Wylie E. because unlike other High Schools there are virtually no cliques or secluded groups. Basically anybody can be friends with anybody and it's always a really fun atmosphere around Homecoming.
What I liked about Groves High School were junior/senior privileges, x-block, and blended classes to give you preparation for college.
Start Your Review of Wylie E. Groves High School
My experience at Wylie E. Groves High School has transformed me into the academically strong college student I am today. My transition to Groves brought upon a range of changes, however, while being at Groves I connected with my counselor, learned from outstanding teachers, developed lifelong friendships, received job opportunities, joined clubs, participated in community service, and became overall prepared for college and the work environment.
Initially, Groves curriculum was academically challenging for me, yet, Groves provided many opportunities that allowed me to reach the level of academic excellence I aspired to achieve. Throughout all four years at Groves I took advantage of going to lunch help and X-Block, where students came to school early, and received help from teachers . Eventually, I was inducted into the National Honor Society.
If there was anything that Groves could improve, it would be including more ways to enhance the diversity among students and faculty.
Groves is a great community for me. I love the people and the administration. There are teachers there who really care about their students and just will not let them fail. The counselors are the same way they want to see all of their students succeed and make it in life, and also their academics are great.
I liked the small community I found within the school, however the culture was draining for someone who possesses a marginalized identity. I felt that the academics were superb and I definitely felt college ready. I think the culture, diversity, and social aspects of a school is just as important.