Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Winthrop Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Winthrop, MA. It has 595 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Winthrop Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A107 Students
- grade A+84 Students
- grade B84 Students
- grade C+76 Students
- grade A+68 Students
- grade B+65 Students
- grade B64 Students
- grade B minus59 Students
- grade A+52 Students
- grade B52 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade C minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 4 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 4 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 20 responses
- Drama Performances20%
- Pep Rally20%
- Talent Show15%
- Pep rallies5%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 5 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$15,718 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 12 responses
Schools like Winthrop Senior High School
- grade B minusSaugus High School
- Saugus Public Schools, MA
- Rating 3.32 out of 5 114 reviews
- grade BWeymouth High School
- Weymouth Public Schools, MA
- Rating 3.5 out of 5 289 reviews
- grade B minusPeabody Veterans Memorial High School
- Peabody Public Schools, MA
- Rating 3.58 out of 5 202 reviews
- grade CChelsea High School
- Chelsea Public Schools, MA
- Rating 3.59 out of 5 164 reviews
Winthrop Senior High School Reviews
Rating 3.37 out of 5 63 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I moved to Winthrop halfway through my freshman year. The school was very open to having me and I felt as if all the students accepted me right away! I do wish they had a wider variety of classes in which I would have been able to select, but have had an overall great experience.
Winthrop Senior High School is a collaborative community, with mutual respect between students and teachers. I have been in class with most of my peers since the age of 5, and they are all my close friends. We all endured a transition from a trashy old middle school to a brand new state of the art high school, and we have all trained to become strong in our respective fields. We all respect each other, whether we are performers, athletes or scholars. Our teachers and administrators are strong, smart and kind, and I have made strong relationships with many.
Many of the teachers are super accepting and will be very helpful and friendly to you as long as you respect them, they even can become great friends and are more than willing to help you with recommendations and advice for your future in college and your career. The students vary, many tend to be nice and everyone can come together as it is a small close town, mostly all friendly with each other. The new building id very clean and quite nice. Wonderful theater and athletics departments both with immense talent.