Winthrop High School is an above average, public school located in Winthrop, ME. It has 248 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Winthrop High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+29 Students
- B23 Students
- B21 Students
- B-15 Students
- C+14 Students
- A+13 Students
- A-13 Students
- A+12 Students
- A+11 Students
- B-10 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Winthrop High School
- C+Cony School
- Augusta Public Schools, ME
- 85 reviews
- CGardiner Area High School
- Regional School Unit No. 11 (MSAD 11), ME
- 143 reviews
- B-Leavitt Area High School
- Regional School Unit No. 52 (MSAD 52), ME
- 109 reviews
- C-Oak Hill High School
- Regional School Unit No. 04 (MSAD 04), ME
- 83 reviews
Winthrop High School Reviews
Winthrop prepared me for life in a lot of ways. It gave me the college skills I needed while also helping me prepare for what real life was going to be like. I know that experience was unique for me in what I decided to do while being there and most people wouldn't have had that but the possibilities are there. The years at Winthrop are ones I look fondly back at, even only a few years out of the system. It's a great school system with a lot to offer, even if they do face limitations due to being in such a small town.
An excellent environment for working and learning, however, not the best control over students and can be more organized as a whole.
The teachers at my school in particular, as well as others state and nationwide, really try to connect with their students and try to get them to be their very best, at the same time they do inform them that the grades they receive are based on the students effort and work. If a student is struggling the teacher is definitely willing to work with the student as long as he/she also puts in the time and effort to improve their own grade and success in the classroom. The teachers at Winthrop also try to incorporate interesting discussions into the classroom, instead of lectures that take up the entire period the teacher promotes student lead discussions so the students go over the information that they would like to know more about rather than going over the same topic multiple times.