Windward School Reviews

I was incredibly happy with my high school experience at Windward School. Not only was I challenged academically, but I was encouraged to explore artistically and approach school work with a creative mindset.
I am a parent of a 9th grade girl and her experience has been everything we had hoped for. She is able to be a leader in the classroom, explore her interests in the arts, and she has discovered two new interests - film and running. We have found the community to be very down to earth.
Windward School is a place where the faculty cares about who you are as a person, more than just your grades and academic interests. Perhaps if it had a pool or a track or a larger parking lot it would be "better," but really, it's a pretty great place to go to high school.
Start Your Review of Windward School
I think it’s a fantastic place with fantastic opportunities. Being able to go there has changed my life and prepared me for my future in ways I never thought imaginable.
Windward has been so supportive in fostering my academic ambitions. The combination of a collaborative student body and exemplary teachers which take interest in every student's success truly fulfills the school's vision of a "dynamic education and nurturing community." The classes maintain an impressive level of rigor which grants students unparalleled critical thinking skills, and this, along with dedicated college counselors, ensures student success in college. Windward is home for the curious, hard-working, and down-to-earth kinds of people.
We have two children attending Windward, and we all (including the students) could not be more pleased with the school. The teachers and facilities are absolutely top notch. The culture is kind and nurturing. The support that has been given to one of our children, who has dyslexia, has been absolutely outstanding, and allows her to succeed in a challenging academic environment. Athletics, depending on the sport, range from being open to anyone who wishes to participate to nationally competitive. The food in the pavilion is amazing. And the parents are a wonderful collection of supportive and generally "normal" people, despite a fair number of them being quite literally among the tops in the world in their chosen fields. Windward is truly impressive.
Our daughter just finished middle school at Windward and will continue to 9th grade. We could not be more pleased with the faculty, staff, administration, curriculum and the general school ethos. Windward is truly an outstanding school where our daughter has blossomed into a confident, and well-informed young person. There is a wide range of elective offerings that gives the students the opportunity to explore their interests. Windward teachers are the best part of Windward, as they truly support and encourage their students and provide the necessary methodology and environment for students to reach their potential. Most of the teachers have graduate degrees, some have taught at universities. The administration is always cordial, friendly, and forthcoming. Windward is heavily athletics oriented, however, liberal arts are just as vigorously promoted and supported. Strong STEM as well. All things considered, we couldn't have asked for a better school.
great school overall and everyone I know loves it especially the teachers....a majority of them come from teaching knowledge and not only are experts in their field but you can also tell they love to teach
I adore Windward. I came as a freshman and immediately felt welcomed. The classes are a perfect size of about 12-20 students. Windward encourages you to try new things. I took a class freshman year called Controversial Issues in Contemporary Society and it was a great experience that helped spark my passion in politics to the point where I am now going to study political science. I play soccer and the Windward athletic department helped me grow as a player and leader. My coaches helped me grow to the point where I went from not confident to captain my junior and senior years. Windward really makes sure all art forms are celebrated. From the improv to the dance recitals, Windward wants you to have the best experience and do whatever makes you happy. The teachers truly care about your learning but also about you as a person. I can truly say that I couldn't have had a better high school experience and that Windward is the best place for a dynamic, diverse and inclusive community.
Like most schools, this one has good and bad points. Great campus, some fantastic teachers, top notch gym, facilities, trainers, plenty of $$ for excellent coaching staff for sports. On the down side, it is a very richie-rich community and it makes the school a bit one dimensional. It is also very small for a high school, so not a ton of choices for friends, or variety in the types of people you will meet. The school also focuses on some sports much more than others. Girls basketball rules the roost, everyone else . . . not so much.
I love this school. It provides so many opportunities in so many outlets, and is overall incredibly welcoming. If you want to try something, you can!
Windward truly offers a rigorous academic environment that is balanced and nurturing. The student body is the most diverse of the Los Angeles area private schools, and there seems to be far less of the social pressures you see at other private schools. The administration is accessible and fully supports parental involvement. There are many opportunities for parents to volunteer and be involved in student life. Windward's teaching approach is cutting edge and progressive. An excellent school all around.
Windward offered a wonderful Middle and High School education and prepared me very well for success in college. The teachers were personally invested in the success of their students and taught at a level that challenged intelligent students in the honors and AP classes. College counselors did an excellent job in helping me find a great fit for the four years following Windward. I remain friends with many of my Windward friends and we all look back fondly on our Windward memories.
As a family of four children who has had the great privilege of attending four private secondary schools, all local and highly lauded, it is Windward School that has exceeded all expectations for providing an exquisite education in a kind and engaging environment. You'll likely never meet a student body that loves their school more.
Windward definitely had some social challenges since many students came from very well-off families which could be difficult to compete with sometimes, but overall, I accredit Windward with making it possible for my to go to my dream university. I made some of my closest friends that I will keep for life , and I had the best teachers, classes that I loved, and opportunities to explore my interests all while having the best resources available to me. Every teacher/faculty/staff there cares about the success of each student - this I know is a fact.
Beautiful campus, opportunity for just about every class and level of academic you could want. Sports not their strongest, but still a good balance.
Windward upholds its "dynamic education, nurturing community" goal with excellent, engaging teachers and hard-working students. Although many students often separate into "cliques," everyone has a place in the Windward community.
Start Your Review of Windward School
I love windward and how it has prepared me so far for college in a safe, welcoming environment. Unfortunately, the athletics are not so great.
I graduated this past year and I had a pretty great time. Some friends of mine in other high schools complained about cliques and mean girls but I never found that to be a problem here. I didn't pay attention to the athletics, much, but I really loved the creative elements at Windward. Classes were challenging but not over the top.
Teachers are very caring and want it's students to succeed.