William Fleming High School is a public school located in Roanoke, VA. It has 1,550 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 75% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
William Fleming High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B146 Students
- B+144 Students
- B142 Students
- A128 Students
- C115 Students
- A+111 Students
- A+101 Students
- B+76 Students
- C+71 Students
- C+67 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.26 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.29 responses
Schools like William Fleming High School
- BPatrick Henry High School
- Roanoke City Public Schools, VA
- 239 reviews
- C+Eastern Montgomery High School
- Montgomery County Public Schools, VA
- 34 reviews
- BNorthside High School
- Roanoke County Public Schools, VA
- 157 reviews
- C-Craig County High School
- Craig County Public Schools, VA
- 43 reviews
William Fleming High School Reviews
I graduated from William Fleming High School in 2018. Out of everything Fleming has to offer, I would say that its special education program was the school's best asset. The students in the program were treated well by their teachers and were taught everything they need to know in order to navigate through life. However, Fleming had its fair share of problems. The school had a very hostile environment due to frequent fights between students, and bullying was rarely addressed by administration. There were multiple occasions during my time at Fleming where I would be harassed by another student in plain view of a teacher, only for it to be ignored. In a nutshell, William Fleming High School was mediocre at best with strengths that are few and far between.
My experience at William Fleming High School has been a mostly positive experience. I do feel like, however, that the quality of the food could be improved, considering a bug was found in the food on more than one occasion. Also, the people here have poor discipline considering a student got into a fight with a teacher. I think this school needs more space because the chamber choir students, myself included, cannot be in the choir room because orchestra needs it, so we have to be in the auditorium which isn't as orderly. There was also our bus situation at the beginning of the year where more than half the buses were late getting to and from school causing our senior class meeting to get pushed back everyday for almost 2 weeks.
I graduated from William Fleming in 2017 and from what I heard the school has gotten worse. The sports and school spirit was good but some of the teachers doesn’t care about the students and are just there for the check. There are still some teachers that go above and beyond for the students but there is only a few of them that are like this. All schools have there flaws and through the flaws of Fleming, I still enjoyed the school and made some great connections.