Whitney High School is a top rated, public school located in Cerritos, CA. It has 1,011 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 25 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Whitney High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+256 Students
- A+216 Students
- A+216 Students
- A186 Students
- A181 Students
- A+135 Students
- A97 Students
- A+95 Students
- A-84 Students
- A+73 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.41 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.41 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 105 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.48 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.48 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.48 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.53 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.54 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.54 responses
Schools like Whitney High School
- A+Cerritos High School
- Abc Unified School District, CA
- 551 reviews
- A+Arcadia High School
- Arcadia Unified School District, CA
- 1,007 reviews
- A+Oxford Academy
- Anaheim Union High School District, CA
- 582 reviews
- A+San Marino High School
- San Marino Unified School District, CA
- 248 reviews
Whitney High School Reviews
My 5 years at WHS so far has been an emotional and physical roller coaster. The environment is a sleepless, stressful world spinning on the axis of academics, academics, academics! Grades, GPA, test scores, and AP classes are the focus of a majority of the students' minds daily. Academics rules the school. Sports, clubs, passions, and any outside activities are often disregarded by teachers and administration. If one does not have a constant academic fuel, WHS is not for them. Every day is a competition. It's easy to feel small and helpless whether it be academically, socially, or personally. Whitney, however, is a good college prep school. There are a handful of incredible teachers who get personal and down to earth with their students reaching beyond the curriculum, and there are teachers who seem to have little to no heart and believe 'it is their way or the highway'. Overall, WHS is an academically driven energy drainer.
Whitney High School is a place that challenges their students to excel in their academic careers. Although the workload can be really overwhelming, most teachers always strive for the success of their students. Some things that have cone to my concern are the classes that are offered to students. Many of the fine arts or cultural classes have been cancelled and in turn have introduced many science/ technology-based classes or classes that further limit the diverse academic endeavors of our students. Otherwise, I believe that the community of Whitney follows their title of a college-prep school and offers a lot of opportunities for their many students to succeed.
Although a very small and peaceful environment, Whitney High is also home to some of the most extreme forms of academic competition and pressure. Being the academic titan it is, all students that attend this school strive to reach the top echelon of society. However, as a result kids can very well crack under this immense pressure and some suffer from depression. The family that is Whitney High is very comforting despite this academic forefront.