Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade B
- Teachersgrade A+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade C minus
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C minus
Whitney High School is a top rated, public school located in Cerritos, CA. It has 1,009 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 26 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Whitney High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A+371 Students
- grade A+301 Students
- grade A+287 Students
- grade A279 Students
- grade A259 Students
- grade A+160 Students
- grade A142 Students
- grade A minus133 Students
- grade A+124 Students
- grade A107 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade D+
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade D minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 48 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 48 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 126 responses
- International Day27%
- Faculty Follies21%
- Western Day and International Day16%
- Hello/Aloha Dance11%
- Senior Activities6%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 51 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 51 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 50 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 55 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 55 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 55 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,173 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 60 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 61 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 61 responses
Schools like Whitney High School
- grade A+Cerritos High School
- ABC Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.68 out of 5 599 reviews
- grade A+Arcadia High School
- Arcadia Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.78 out of 5 1,072 reviews
- grade A+Oxford Academy
- Anaheim Union High School District, CA
- Rating 3.64 out of 5 626 reviews
- grade A+San Marino High School
- San Marino Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.94 out of 5 268 reviews
Whitney High School Reviews
Rating 3.75 out of 5 374 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Whitney is an experience. With the constant academic pressure to succeed and almost toxic competitive nature of the students, it's both easy and hard to form long-lasting bonds with peers. Admin tends to turn a blind eye, choosing to focus on the school's reputation rather than address any social issues (as caused by the lack of diversity within a model-minority/predominantly-Asian school), but that's okay. Sports and school spirit tends to be weak as students are focused on academics, and different teachers have their own eccentricities to deal with. Overall an okay school if you can keep up with the stress, but burning out is easy.
I like how rigorous and challenging Whitney's academics are. It ensures that the students attending the school are the best of the best and are constantly being pushed to not only do their best, but further themselves and push their limits. I also admire the teachers who are always ready to lend a helping hand and answer questions, work with their students, and take extra time out of their day to help struggling students. I think Whitney could, however, improve their compassion and leniency for their students. While constantly pushing their students to give more and more, these standards can sometimes cause students to crack under the pressure. It would be great to see Whitney find a balance between bettering their students through tough work, but also allowing their students to rest up for the next challenge awaiting them.
I think my experience at Whitney High School has been really good so far. What I really enjoy is how small the student population is, so you're pretty familiar with everyone and make bonding activities with others better. The academics are definitely rigorous but many teachers are willing to help with whatever questions you have. One thing I'd change is probably the amount of work at times as many students seem to get overwhelmed by all the pressures and due dates. Overall, Whitney is an amazing school with a great, welcoming community.