Whitney High School is a top rated, public school located in Cerritos, CA. It has 1,008 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 25 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Whitney High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+299 Students
- A+247 Students
- A+240 Students
- A213 Students
- A209 Students
- A+141 Students
- A117 Students
- A+105 Students
- A-104 Students
- A83 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.42 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.42 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 106 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.49 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.49 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.49 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.54 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.55 responses
Schools like Whitney High School
- A+Cerritos High School
- ABC Unified School District, CA
- 563 reviews
- A+Arcadia High School
- Arcadia Unified School District, CA
- 1,025 reviews
- A+Oxford Academy
- Anaheim Union High School District, CA
- 597 reviews
- A+San Marino High School
- San Marino Unified School District, CA
- 254 reviews
Whitney High School Reviews
As a student from Whitney High School, I found the environment to be very welcoming yet also challenging. The curriculum and activities in the school definitely push students to their best abilities in order to help them strive in the future. Besides academically motivating students, Whitney High School also consists of a lot of sports and clubs that allow students who are not academically strong to engage in their strengths and interact with other students (of all grades) along with the teachers and faculty. Students are allowed to pursue their interests with the assistance of teachers who are well-versed in their specific fields and are able to improve drastically within their time at Whitney High School. Overall, I believe that Whitney High School benefits students and encourages them to reach their goals.
It has been 2 months since I've started attending Whitney, and I'm glad to say that my experience has been very positive so far. All the students are very bright and incredibly ambitious, not to mention their sportsmanship. The teachers, too, take their role seriously as educators of the future generation, while also taking the initiative to interact and bond with their students. While it is inarguable that the competition is high within the school, it is nowhere as severe as most people make it out to be- and when managed well, the competition can serve as a motivation rather than a burden. My only concern is that Whitney has a fairly limited amount of AP courses available to their students compared to most high schools. Otherwise, the school has great staff, amicable students, respectable teachers, and a strikingly positive school atmosphere. I have no regrets in coming to Whitney.
My 5 years at WHS so far has been an emotional and physical roller coaster. The environment is a sleepless, stressful world spinning on the axis of academics, academics, academics! Grades, GPA, test scores, and AP classes are the focus of a majority of the students' minds daily. Academics rules the school. Sports, clubs, passions, and any outside activities are often disregarded by teachers and administration. If one does not have a constant academic fuel, WHS is not for them. Every day is a competition. It's easy to feel small and helpless whether it be academically, socially, or personally. Whitney, however, is a good college prep school. There are a handful of incredible teachers who get personal and down to earth with their students reaching beyond the curriculum, and there are teachers who seem to have little to no heart and believe 'it is their way or the highway'. Overall, WHS is an academically driven energy drainer.