Wheeler High School is an above average, public school located in Valparaiso, IN. It has 553 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Wheeler High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+114 Students
- A101 Students
- B+66 Students
- B+53 Students
- A-40 Students
- B-32 Students
- B-30 Students
- B-27 Students
- B26 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.15 responses
Schools like Wheeler High School
- B+Morgan Township Middle/High School
- East Porter County School Corporation, IN
- 28 reviews
- B-Hebron High School
- Metropolitan School District of Boone Township, IN
- 63 reviews
- A-Chesterton Senior High School
- Duneland School Corporation, IN
- 444 reviews
- A-Valparaiso High School
- Valparaiso Community Schools, IN
- 422 reviews
Wheeler High School Reviews
I have gone here the past four years, and I love it! My teachers have not only taught me about academics, but they give me advice! Our teachers not only care about our grades, but they care for their students well-being. The staff as a whole connect with us on a deeper level I have ever heard of. They listen to our concerns and take them into consideration. This is the BEST school in Indiana, and I am proud to be a bearcat! Once a bearcat, always a bearcat!
On the positive side of things, Wheeler High School has unique subjects (honors psychology) and it is pretty easy to navigate around the school. Though, unfortunately, the school appeals to the richer child in bullying cases and a graphic poster coats a wall, triggering some depressed individuals. We have police officers that try making friends with everyone and some that only allow you to walk in the hallways if you are good-looking. Of course, High school is filled with drama, cold pizza, and awful people. On the bright side of things, Wheeler's conditions are better than the conditions of other schools. If you were to choose between Portage High School or Wheeler High School, choose Wheeler.
It is a smaller school, so you get to enjoy everyone's company. This also means that you can know everything about everyone pretty much. This school is mostly a family than just a place we go to everyday. This place provides for each other, and you truly understand the meaning of friendship. We will always be Bearcats!