grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade B
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Wheeler High School is a highly rated, public school located in North Stonington, CT. It has 355 students in grades 6-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 8 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 79% in reading.
Wheeler High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A46 Students
- grade B32 Students
- grade A+14 Students
- grade B11 Students
- grade C11 Students
- grade B minus10 Students
- grade B minus8 Students
- grade A8 Students
- grade A minus7 Students
- grade B minus7 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade B minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 4 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 4 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 6 responses
- Spirit week17%
- Spirit Week17%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 5 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$20,555 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 11 responses
Schools like Wheeler High School
- grade BChariho High School
- Chariho Regional School District, RI
- Rating 3.6 out of 5 235 reviews
- grade B minusGriswold High School
- Griswold School District, CT
- Rating 3.56 out of 5 128 reviews
- grade BWesterly High School
- Westerly Public Schools, RI
- Rating 3.5 out of 5 153 reviews
- grade A minusStonington High School
- Stonington School District, CT
- Rating 3.62 out of 5 167 reviews
Wheeler High School Reviews
Rating 3.46 out of 5 52 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
The defining characteristic of Wheeler High School is its incredibly small size. My graduating class will be about 45 students and as such I know them all very well. Similarly, attending such a small institution provided me the opportunity to forge close relationships with many teachers. This has been an invaluable part of my educational experience. While there are less opportunities at a small school like Wheeler, the tight-knit community certainly makes up for it.
Wheeler's small environment provides personalized care for your specific education, if you take initiative. All the teachers are very approachable and take an interest in your personal, holistic success. Students interact with a wide variety of peers which helps to develop a wider perspective and raise more accepting people. The small district may not have the proper funds to deliver all the latest advancements, but they make up for it with comparable experiences and opportunities.
Wheeler High strives to foster forward thinking, independent students. Teachers are incredibly supportive, and the smaller class sizes provide a private school experience in a public school setting. Given smaller size there are some limits in opportunities, such as athletics, and AP courses, but co-ops with other schools and online courses resolve these issues.