Westwood High School is an above average, public, magnet school located in Ishpeming, MI. It has 310 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 57% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-62 Students
- A26 Students
- A+24 Students
- A21 Students
- B18 Students
- B15 Students
- B+11 Students
- A+10 Students
- B+8 Students
- A+5 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 13 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like Westwood High School
- BNegaunee High School
- Negaunee Public Schools, MI
- 54 reviews
- BIshpeming High School
- Ishpeming Public School District No. 1, MI
- 22 reviews
- A-Marquette Senior High School
- Marquette Area Public Schools, MI
- 112 reviews
- C-Republic-Michigamme School
- Republic-Michigamme Schools, MI
- PK, K-12
- 5 reviews
Westwood High School Reviews
I am now a senior at Westwood High School and am thoroughly impressed with the school's flexibility to accommodate to any student's needs. Westwood offers a variety of classes to gear their students to whatever vocation or college readiness needed, and they even allow their students to dual enroll at Northern Michigan University. Now that I am almost graduated, I feel completely prepared and ready for my next step in life thanks to Westwood.
There is a large variety of clubs and organizations for students to participate in if they desire. Some of the clubs include, ACTion Troupe, Philosophy Club, Key Club, Drama Club, Forensics and Student Council. Some organizations include, National Honor Society, Business Professionals of America and Health Occupational Students of America. At Westwood, sports are important to both faculty and students alike. Westwood staff runs most of the clubs, and teachers often stay late at school to run clubs that students participate in. The people who are in clubs are mostly dedicated to their chosen clubs. Key Club especially requires after-school participation because of the community work that it is involved in. Overall the variety of the clubs as well as the enthusiasm for them is good.
I liked how committed the art teacher, Mrs. Lange, was to her arts program and never let anyone try to shut it down for more money to spent elsewhere in the school. I wish however, that we had a better theater program, just for lack of interest in it because no one really knows about it within our community.