Westlake High School Reviews

It's a very competitive school but it is equipped with the best facilities available. It has good food good location, ample parking available, and some of the best teachers in the state.
From an academic perspective, Westlake is one of the best in the nation. All areas are well represented. AP classes have especially good curriculum and teachers. Though with this comes an extremely competitive environment. The craze to get into the "top 10%" is evident in and, in many cases, central to student life.
Westlake is a very good school and it's also very competitive. There is a slight stereotype of a Westlake student, but there are many exceptions to that stereotype, so it's still pretty diverse.
Start Your Review of Westlake High School
As a student my time at Westlake was some of the best time of my life. Yes I loved college, but westlake prepared so well compared to my peers. Having a disability, the teachers were aware, but that didn’t stop them when it came to pushing me to my best. The coaches in the athletic department are not just great at coaching sports but also coaching life. Every single coach I had there was like a second father to me and I quote them I’m my life to this day. The people in this community are absolutely great people. Words can not explain how much support my family received from other westlake families when my own was dealing with crisis. Make no mistake, Westlake is a excellent school!
I love Westlake, its a really good school if you want a challenge, however every kid is a giant walking ball of stress, people are way to competitive, the homework load is too much, everyone is an athlete so nobody has time to do any work, and the parents are all tiger moms. other than that westlake is great, we have good sports teams and we all are really prepared for college. the teachers are also really good so long as they are not in the history department.
(I would rate Westlake as terrible if I didn't value academics so much. Please keep this in mind.)

The Good: Academically the school prepares you extraordinarily well. Top 20 colleges are easy in comparison. Westlake Hills is particularly wealthy so funding affords the school some pioneering educational resources.

The Bad: Too conservative. If you are looking for a diverse, accepting school over academic prestige and intensity, don't come here and go to school in the true North or SoCal. Outright bullying isn't a problem here; discriminatory microagression and psychological battering are. Poor emotional health is a serious problem and undiagnosed depression is rampant (because people just don't believe in it). Causation stems from a mixture of work stress, social pressures, and "we're cordial but we'll never actually be friends" judgments.

A very specific, small group of students and parents actually care about sports here (aka those who play them).
What I like about Westlake is the camaraderie of the students. Everyone supports one another, and bullying or disrespect of other students is rarely an issue. It's a very safe environment, also, and the teachers are all very skilled in the subjects they teach and put forth a lot of effort so that students can understand material and be ready for academic challenges in college.
Overall, I was extremely lucky to attend this school. The students are well behaved, there are many teachers that genuinely care about your success, and the opportunities you are given for involvement are numerous.
I've been at Westlake for 3 years now, the school is a decent place. The counselors are GREAT. The teachers are acceptable, not all are great at teaching. The best part about the school to me is the sports department.
The academics at Westlake were very impressive, as well as the sports teams, resources, and facilities. It is around a very safe area and the advanced courses help prepare students for college.
Westlake High School offered a great many advanced courses which helped me prepare for College. The school also offers a great many extra circulars.
The classes at Westlake High School in Austin, TX have provided the rigor I need. You have many choices of AP classes and the teacher support has been great. Teachers have early morning tutoring and answer emails in the same day. Westlake has a wide variety of extra-curricular activities to choose from and the counselors hold many sessions to inform us of colleges application procedures and help when we need it...for anything! The school has also started a culture of SEL.
I loved the academics at Westlake High School and their wide variety of sports. I was able to participate as a varsity level athlete and challenge myself academically throughout my high school career. If I could change anything I would make it easier for students to be athletes by allowing alternate transportation if needed to go from one school event to another.
This school will really prepare you for college and the workload that comes with it. Many of my friends who have graduated from here said they were better prepared for college than other students at their university. There is, however, a ton of unnecessary stress placed on students by well-meaning parents and teachers and honestly themselves. The competition in this school is insane.
Teachers are very good and I feel like I've gotten many opportunities simply for being a student at Westlake. However it is extremely demanding if you want to make good grades and there is a lot of pressure and competition. I am not in the top 10 percent but the kids who are work extremely hard to be. There is not much emphasis on balance here. Also, many of the kids come from very affluent families and it is somewhat hard not being quite as fortunate. There are many club and other school fees that tend to be expensive--however they are very accommadating with waiving fees if you cannot afford it. It's a very hard school but overall for me it was worth it because of the quality of education and opportunities it provided.
The Academics are off the chart and allow students to really challenge themselves. All of the Teachers genuinely want to be there and it shows in the classroom. The teachers' passion in the classroom helps prepare students for College by throughly engaging them. There are more Clubs & Activities here to participate in than can be listed. The school's Safety is never something students or parents have to worry about, because there are two Travis County Sheriff Officers and countless security guards on campus at all times. The School Culture is amazing, everyone here is highly supportive of everyone else(the entire district is this way). The Administration does a great job of managing the school while allowing students to feel comfortable in their environment. Once a month the cafeteria staff grill outside while Student Bands perform live in the courtyard. There is no better district than Eanes ISD, and no better high school than Westlake. Go Chaps!
Westlake is a quality place for schooling with great athletic programs to match. The school lacks diversity to say the least but the school is merely a reflection of the population surrounding it. There are a good number of entitled kids here who didn't seem to understand how the world outside of theirs operated, often making for some close minded conversations at lunch tables, but this was only a portion of the students. Students here in general are bound for good futures.
Start Your Review of Westlake High School
This school has dreamt teachers that go above and beyond. It was my science teacher who inspired me to go to college.
Going to school at Westlake guarantees an academically rigorous experience. The community of students are focused on getting high grades, going to a good school and sports. While this is a generalization, the environment is extremely competitive and intimidating. Most of the students are wealthy, so there is an element of privilege that is seeped into the community. The teachers are hit or miss at the school, and there is many opportunities extracurricular wise. Students are given endless resources to guarantee a thriving education.
What I really enjoyed about my experience at Westlake High School was that it did not follow the stereotype of what most believe to be a high school experience. Westlake High School time and time again proved to be a place where teachers were dedicated to watching their students succeed and a place where kids were kind and supportive of one and other. Something I would like to see change at Westlake High School would be to reduce the intensity of the competitive environment. Although I believe it is important to challenge students, Westlake is sometimes a place where students can be pushed beyond their limits.