Westlake High School Reviews

Westlake overall was a relatively positive experience, if you're a top of the class student. There is a big divide between the top 9 of class students and the students with a lower performance. The better your grades the better your treatment, where as for the student who struggled they got worse teachers and seemingly harder work. As a student who did very well in some subjects but struggled in others I got to experience this divide for myself. This is why I rate Westlake high school as an average experience, not because it was truly what you would consider average but because with these two polar sides of my experience I would level it out as average. Please keep this in mind when review the rest of my rates.
Westlake has given me the utmost confidence that I will be able to succeed in college and life after school. It taught me the necessary study skills I need that fit my learning style and challenged me academically. It also provided me with endless opportunities to further my knowledge outside the classroom and helped me find my very best friends.
The academics are prestigious, but the pressures to take advanced classes are extremely present. The stress levels go through the roof here and mental health suffers because of it. The way administration handles bullying and mental health is extremely poor. However, because of this, students band together and support each other to make up for the lacking outreach from staff.
Start Your Review of Westlake High School
High academic standards. Great community support! Teachers are involved and really care about the personal as well as academic growth of students.
I'm totally satisfied with my high school experience at Westlake. Even though I was only there for one year my expectations were exceeded. I would like to congratulate the school administration and thank them for all their help in the college seeking process.
It’s crazy to look back at my four years in high school. Time really does fly when you’re having fun. Although high school wasn’t perfect, Westlake prepared me well for college and for life. I’m thankful that Westlake offers a wide variety of educational opportunities for their students. Sometimes there seems to be many flaws at school, but it’s important to remember that many children around the globe don’t have the opportunities I have.
Students are in a very privileged position to be in the Westlake community.
Westlake is a highly competitive school and I’m truly grateful for my peers and teachers for pushing me to become the best student possible. It wasn’t easy and I wish I had gotten more sleep, but I can confidently say that I am walking away from Westlake with a strong education.
Westlake is a very competitive school academically, which challenged me to be better. It might be too competitive though and I think that they should work on their GPA system with APs. Very social and involved school.
We have loved our time at EISD. Westlake has a lot of great resources, kids, extracurriculars. Sad to say not all of the teachers are as outstanding and we would like them to be.
The school is absolutely amazing and have great teachers that strive to make students better and prepared for both College and their lives. The school is known for having a hard AP culture where students feel as though they need to fill their entire schedule with AP and Pre-AP classes in order to compete with other students. However the competition at the school has made myself and my peers more motivated to work harder and push each other to the limits.
Westlake will prepare you for college. The academics are superior to all the schools we are surrounded by. The teachers at the AP level are phenomenal and will push you to do your best. The school environment is extremely positive.
Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Best school ever! A million times better than Lake Travis. The overall environment has helped me strengthen my sense of self and form my goals for post graduation success! All of the programs are top notch, some of the best in the state if not the country! Even though I’m only a freshman I feel prepared for college and can’t wait for the challenges that await over the next few years here!
Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Westlake. From the teachers to the challenge level of academics, Westlake made me feel prepared for college. While they do encourage excellence in every area, it does come with a lot of pressures to fit the mold -- that would be the only thing I would change about my 4 years.
Great for education terrible for everything else. Staff and faculty focus way to much on GPA, college admissions and the next test you have and fail to prepare you for life.
Westlake is a great school to go to due to it's high reputation. It also has a lot more resources and classes than most schools which makes students really lucky. Though, it is a very competitive academic and social environment. There also is a lot of cheating that takes place.
I had a fantastic high school experience at westlake, I am now in University and I am very prepared for my course load. The only thing I’d like to see change is the diversity, westlake is not a diverse school but that is the only downside.
Westlake is the poster child for rich, suburban, and white neighborhoods. The teachers are wonderful, and the students are in general niiice neigh, but the GPA culture results in the awful mental health of the students.
Overall I have really enjoyed my time at Westlake. The academics are amazing and there are so many options for clubs, sports and more. Westlake has really prepared me for college with the amount of AP classes available. One thing I have disliked about this school is the competition and the pressure to do well and take AP classes.
Start Your Review of Westlake High School
Westlake High prepares students well for college and has course diversity in STEM, Arts, entrepreneurship and offers incredible leadership opportunities. But it’s a large school dealing with shrinking budget. The administration needs to be more proactive regarding the college application process. Limited one on one college counseling.
Westlake is a very academically rigorous school. It lives up to the "rich-kid" identity that other schools perceive it as. Going to Westlake has given me a better education than I would have if I had gone to another school in Austin but it does put me at a disadvantage because compared to other kids that have more resources, my academic achievements are dulled.
Westlake High School was a great experience and had a lot of resources for us to be ready for college.