Westby High School is a public school located in Westby, WI. It has 359 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 27% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Westby High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+49 Students
- A-41 Students
- B+33 Students
- B33 Students
- B+30 Students
- A+21 Students
- B20 Students
- B17 Students
- B15 Students
- B13 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Westby High School Reviews
I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Westby High School thus far. The music program is nothing short of astounding: both the choir and the band giving themselves an impressive reputation for being high quality. I have performed with both groups all over the state for different events, and the work habits, musical experiences, and life skills I have gained from these two organizations will last a lifetime. However, I do not have as high of remarks for, that part being the teachers for academics. Erica Hoven, a science teacher, is easily the worst teacher I have ever had. She is irritable, constantly yelling at students. Her method of teaching involves reading off of a slide show (not adding anything else to elaborate) and giving out worksheets. The reason she doesn't expand upon slideshows, I believe, is because she doesn't even make them. She has told us she uses ones made by another teacher. She is a leech on this school district and must leave.
Westby High has brought me closer to my passions. They have an amazing music department where I was able to learn and grow in band and choir. Because Westby is a small school, students are expected to be in many activites. I am in drama, forensics, FCCLA, NHS, Jazz choir, Jazz band, Norse link, and, of course, band and choir. Sadly, Westby falls short when considering academics. There aren't very many advanced or AP classes to take because there isn't a budget to pay for more teachers. This also means that our teachers have to double or triple up on different courses to meet the amount of classes they have. Overall, Westby is a pretty great school district to grow up in. Everyone knows each other, and all of the grade levels are very close, but there are a few amenities that they don't have because of the budget.
Westby High School was a great school for me because it is so community based. Going to a school of only around three-hundred fifty students my whole high school career taught me many things. Teams become your family, you know everybody in your grade and probably in the entire school as well, and your teachers become the best mentors. I will forever hold onto the memories I made at my time at Westby Area High School.