Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesB+
West York Area High School is an above average, public school located in York, PA. It has 871 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 70% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
West York Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-109 Students
- A+104 Students
- A-69 Students
- A66 Students
- B58 Students
- B50 Students
- B40 Students
- B-39 Students
- B-38 Students
- B37 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 50 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.34 responses
Schools like West York Area High School
- A-Northeastern Senior High School
- Northeastern York School District, PA
- 236 reviews
- BRed Lion Area Senior High School
- Red Lion Area School District, PA
- 225 reviews
- B-New Oxford Senior High School
- Conewago Valley School District, PA
- 276 reviews
- B+Donegal High School
- Donegal School District, PA
- 142 reviews
West York Area High School Reviews
West York is a smaller school located in south central pa. With only around 1000 kids in the high school Almost everyone knows each other and many people pick up multiple activities. We’ve had numerous sports teams win state, district And county competitions. The music program is very popular and the overall day to day West York is a blast! I eat lunch everyday with my friends discuss topics beyond the curriculum with my teachers and find the value in community service with my involvement in the National Honor Society. I could t see my self under any other high school alma mater. Everyday I wake up and am proud to be a bulldog! Dogs up!
Most of the teachers at West York Area High School are excellent. They are willing to not only teach the material that they have to, but they are also willing to teach students valuable life lessons. One issue at West York Area High School is the discipline system. There are numerous situations that occur where students are given a 10 day suspension, but the conflict is never actually resolved. The school should use their guidance counselors to sit students down and help them resolve issues that they may be having. These conflicts could be cause by home life or school life. There can be conflicts between two or more students that have to go to school together. The school needs to start solving the problems instead of just putting it on hold for 10 days.
Block scheduling should be changed. Students only have 4 classes each semester. Classes are too long. New lunch and learn program during the middle of the day is chaotic. Students can decide to go to lunch, a club, sit and study, sleep or whatever they want during 80 minutes of the day. Its a long time! I would rather go home earlier.