West Wilkes High School is an above average, public school located in Millers Creek, NC. It has 737 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
West Wilkes High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-117 Students
- A+78 Students
- B-77 Students
- A+74 Students
- B+64 Students
- B63 Students
- B+54 Students
- B+41 Students
- A+41 Students
- B37 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
West Wilkes High School Reviews
West Wilkes High School is more than just a school, it is a community. Everyone living in "Hawk Country" supports the school. However, the school spirit during the school day is lacking. During sporting events, everyone loves the school, but it's like a switch is flipped during the school day. West Wilkes High School provides its students with a solid foundation to build skills for their future. There are so many opportunities available to the students, there is something for everyone.
I had an poor experience at West Wilkes High School. I enjoyed my academics and my teachers but didn't enjoy being on the short end of the stick as a music student. I would like to see more emphasis put on classes in the arts such as music theory classes. Our choral department is given little to no funds which makes it difficult for us to buy music and rent places to have performances (we doesn't have an auditorium). I would like to see more positive attitudes in the classroom and less biased (blatantly choosing favorites) teachers. It's difficult to say I feel safe at this school ever since a student was threatening to shoot up the school two years ago. We went into a lock down but then it was completely ignored by the officials of our school who didn't even notify our parents and guardians of the situation. I look at the bright side in most situations, but this school has let me down too many times to give it a five star review.
The school, like others, lacks when it comes to music and arts. Teachers as a majority are really kind and they try to help every student. The school needs to have more student involvement for everyone, not just the preps, some teachers choose favorites which causes problems for quieter students whom want to be involved.