West Ottawa High School Campus Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+270 Students
- A+218 Students
- A+155 Students
- B+147 Students
- A-139 Students
- B+135 Students
- B125 Students
- C+111 Students
- A45 Students
- B-42 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.30 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.30 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.33 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.44 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.47 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.47 responses
Schools like West Ottawa High School Campus
- B+Holland High School
- Holland City School District, MI
- 121 reviews
- ASpring Lake High School
- Spring Lake Public Schools, MI
- 83 reviews
- A-Grand Haven High School
- Grand Haven Area Public Schools, MI
- 279 reviews
- A-Zeeland East High School
- Zeeland Public Schools, MI
- 194 reviews
West Ottawa High School Campus Reviews
I had a great experience at West Ottawa High School. I had the opportunity to challenge myself academically through the International Baccalaureate (IB) program and AP courses. There were also many extra curricular activities to be involved in. For example, prom committee, Student Senate, NHS, CTEE,sports, band, etc. The school really allows for academic and personal growth as well as getting you ready for life. However, the reason I didn't give the full 5 stars is because, while great, the school does have some issues that could be addressed. The administration of the school is in need of improvement. No one was really impressed with the principle. He secularized his interest in specific school activities and then disregarded others. I played on many sports but I also heard no real good things about the AD. While 90% of the teachers are absolutely fantastic there are others that are impeding the students ability to learn.
Over all, my experience at West Ottawa is amazing. There's diversity among the students, there are classes for all levels of intelligence, the teachers are amazing, and opportunities are also just as amazing. The clubs are great ways to get to know people from other grades and learn and support other groups of people. But if I could change one thing, I'd want the students to be able to decorate the school more such as the bathroom. Let students chose the color and have pictures painted onto the walls and also recognize students more often. Not just the popular and athletic ones either, the quiet, smart and shy ones too.
Peer pressure here is very different from what people would assume peer pressure is like. Students are pressured all the time here, but by themselves. They always do things that they think would please others without another person telling them "do this!" Or " do that!". I think people here are very accepting. I've met a large handful of people here and they're very accepting and kind. Issues with race is common here. There's always students that think it's funny to make racial jokes. Also, I've never seen ANY issues with sexual orientation among students. I do however see issues with the adults here, but it's getting better. My friend was just starting to go through a transition with his sex and the adults here didn't respect his choice. He wanted to be called Zach instead of Laura and the adults here found it Inapropitiate for him to do so. I thought it wasn't an issue because it's similar to having someone named William be called Will instead. It was a rough start but got better as time went on and he's becoming more comfortable with the adults here.