West Leyden High School is an above average, public school located in Northlake, IL. It has 1,513 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 21% of students are at least proficient in math and 24% in reading.
West Leyden High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+196 Students
- A-179 Students
- B-175 Students
- B153 Students
- B142 Students
- A+136 Students
- A-131 Students
- B+120 Students
- B-97 Students
- A+84 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.40 responses
Schools like West Leyden High School
- AEast Leyden High School
- Leyden Community High School District No. 212, IL
- 329 reviews
- A-Addison Trail High School
- DuPage High School District No. 88, IL
- 327 reviews
- B+Reavis High School
- Public School
- Burbank, IL
- 274 reviews
- A-Argo Community High School
- Public School
- Summit, IL
- 201 reviews
West Leyden High School Reviews
The school academically is excellent! The students looking to jump in straight to work are provided with multiple classes to prepare them for jobs that are looking to hire without any college education. As for those who are looking to go to college, they as well have multiple opportunities to prepare them for life on a campus. Although the rest of the school isn't as great as it seems. The school is more nit picky about technology usage and apparel than they are about the efficiency of the school. I've been countlessly picked on by security guards for something so tiny like having a hat on my head as I was exiting the building. They've pulled me sent me to the Dean's on multiple occasions for being late to class by half a minute only to waste my valuable learning time for almost a whole class period. There's a lot of things this school needs to work on which is why the school is only average
I did like the amount of electives they have like for example, culinary, something most high schools don't have. They have a variety of clubs and sports. They have good resources, and builiding a cafe. But the staff is disrespectful. They really push on you to do well and talk about college many times. Their food is okay, better then my middle school. But the staff is just rude, well, at least to me. They have alot elecxtives like business, culinary,arts,music,building/construction, art, etc, good for future hobbies. We need the staff to be quite a bit more respectful though. That's it.
My favorite thing about West Leyden High School, and what makes stand out the most, is the school culture. It is such an accepting and friendly environment. There is a great emphasis in helping students reach their full potential. There is a writing and math center for students to go to when they need help before, during, and after school. There is a multitude of Advance Placement courses and everyone is encouraged to at least take one. West Leyden also has a program to help Freshman transfer from middle school to high school, and it even goes further to guide them on their first steps after high school.