Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
West High School is a highly rated, public school located in Wausau, WI. It has 1,367 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 33% in reading.
West High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+120 Students
- B88 Students
- B86 Students
- B71 Students
- A67 Students
- B-63 Students
- A-57 Students
- B39 Students
- B-34 Students
- B28 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.28 responses
West High School Reviews
The school is very very diverse and nice, but there are a few little details. I think the school should consider talking to students and getting their opinion on things they should do, or their lessons. The school should also recognize things like student's mental/emotional health and how it can affect their performance, and handle it in an effective way that makes the student happy WHILE consulting the student. They should also recognize things like Asian American History month and Pride month to help students feel more included and safe.
I transferred to West High School as a junior, and I fell in love with the mod system, the amount of resources offered, and the variety in courses. I also found myself heavily involved in student lead activities, along with the softball team. I had a great two years at Wausau West, and wouldn't trade it!
The school is alright. It's not wonderful, though. Students with major problems (gang interest, drugs, sex, etc.) happen to be very prevalent in this school. The kids who ARENT interested in gangs, drugs, or sex belong to a super preppy clique who are rarely, sorry to say, are welcoming. They've established their group of close-knit friends and that's just fine, but there needs to be more acceptance from the good kids so that the quiet kids have someone to talk to. I've seen a lot of this in this school: the quiet kids kind of get talked over and ignored, while the preppy kids (and even the rough kids) get listened to. I've seen this happen dozens of times, wanted to speak out, but figured it's just the way the school functions. I really love the music program however. I admire how much work the students put into the pop concert and bandstock.