West High School is an above average, public school located in Oshkosh, WI. It has 1,685 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 43% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.
West High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B157 Students
- A+132 Students
- B63 Students
- A+59 Students
- A-44 Students
- A-37 Students
- A-36 Students
- B+29 Students
- B-27 Students
- A25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 48 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Schools like West High School
- B+North High School
- Oshkosh Area School District, WI
- 156 reviews
- B+Laconia High School
- Rosendale-Brandon School District, WI
- 61 reviews
- A-Winneconne High School
- Winneconne Community School District, WI
- 39 reviews
- ANeenah High School
- Neenah Joint School District, WI
- 239 reviews
West High School Reviews
I think that overall, Oshkosh West High School is a well-established school with good teachers, sports, and school spirit. But I feel as if it lacks diversity, clubs for everyone, and academic freedom. I feel like West should hire more teachers who are able to connect to teenagers. There is definitely a handful of teachers that are awesome! I think that our administration focuses too much on sports and not on the arts. Which is sad because there are a lot of talented, creative students at West.
One of the main things about West High School that I love is the CAPP Program. This is an amazing opportunity for students to earn college credits for schools within the UW system at a discounted price. This school year I will be taking 4 such classes including Calculus 1 and 2 which will give me an amazing head start going into my freshman year at UWO. Another things that I love at West is the ACT Prep that the school offers. During the first semester finals, Juniors are allowed to take practice ACT tests instead of the traditional finals. Providing this for students allows them to understand what may be in the test when they actually take it in February.
The teachers at West, for the most part, show a genuine interest in the success of their students. The few sub par teachers are more than compensated for by those who dedicate everything they have to teaching. Those teaching AP courses stick out in my mind, as they do more than just teach the content--but rather become so passionate in teaching that the students grow a genuine interest in the topic at hand as well. Not only are classes properly taught, but are offered at the college-level as well. Having the opportunity to enroll in AP courses as early as freshman year has allowed me rack up a total of 56 college credits before even entering my freshman year of college. Beyond the classroom, West's athletics and clubs are offered with vast diversity, practically every interest and passion in the student body is catered to.