West High School is a highly rated, public school located in Knoxville, TN. It has 1,357 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 15% of students are at least proficient in math and 38% in reading.
West High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-262 Students
- B76 Students
- A+70 Students
- B-64 Students
- B58 Students
- B56 Students
- B45 Students
- A+33 Students
- B-26 Students
- B+25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 18 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
West High School Reviews
West high school is such a diverse place, and the teachers understand everyone is different and comes from different cultures and lifestyles. I love that they respect that. Most of the teachers genuinely care about our future and help us succeed in the best ways they know how. I also love that our high school is the only one in our county with the International Baccalaureate program, which is used to expand our knowledge and explore different thought process of other nations across the world!
Having just relocated to Tennessee and West High I would say that first impressions of the school have proved me wrong.From the outside West looks like a typical old, rather grimey, inner city school.But once inside although still an aging school you are immidiately beseiged by a vibrant atmosphere of dynamic young teachers, a very diverse student population and a cheerful and involved Principle.There are plans to update and renovate the school.The International Bacculaurate program is challenging and inspiring.Daily schedules are well thought out and the yearly structure of vacations and blocks makes going to school a pleasure for otherwise usually jaded students.Overall I would say that West High is a pleasent surprise and will rise up again as one of Knoxvilles better high schools!
We are incredibly thankful for West High, in Knoxville, TN. We have had three kids go to West. One is now a college freshman and the other two are currently a junior and sophomore. The diversity at West, both ethnic and socioeconomic, is one of its greatest strengths. And the administration and faculty cultivate a unity and energy around the school that both students and parents pick up on. And as parents of students at West, we could not feel more supported by their teachers and the administration. West is also an IB (International Baccalaureate) school, and the IB program has proven beneficial for the entire student body, even those students who are not part of the full IB program. West offers an incredibly unique, healthy and holistic preparatory environment, particularly when compared to other Knoxville area schools. We could not be more thankful for the ways in which West has prepared/is preparing our kids for college and adult life.