West High School is a highly rated, public school located in Appleton, WI. It has 1,082 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 44% of students are at least proficient in math and 48% in reading.
West High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+142 Students
- B119 Students
- A-103 Students
- B102 Students
- B+61 Students
- A+59 Students
- B48 Students
- A-47 Students
- B+43 Students
- B-41 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 29 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
West High School Reviews
I would to see a more open and safe place for students to attend school. There are a few teachers that I know of that help me feel safe, but I'd like more teachers to be able to help their students. The school also needs to understand that sports aren't everything, they need to stop spending money to redo the football field, and help the teachers get what they need to help their students learn in a healthy and safe environment. Appleton West is a bad school for students with mental illnesses, most teachers don't understand and don't try to understand. The students at Appleton West need a better environment in order to properly learn the needed skills for adulthood.
I loved the choir and music program - I was in both of the junior/senior choirs and they were the highlight of my day. New student integration beyond freshmen was not great: there was no one supplied to show you where to go or what you ought to be doing, you just had to figure it out yourself. This is especially difficult when the school is basically a maze. However, every teacher I came in contact with was super great, understanding, and kind.
No two teachers are alike by any means. They all have unique teaching skills. Some are more technology oriented and utilize resources in interesting ways. Some like teacher-student interaction and promote discussion. There are select teachers that aren't as proficient in their field as they should be and fail at making points across. There are also amazing teachers that are greatly rewarded by student success. Usually grading is pretty consistent but there are points where struggling students do extra work to receive extra points or teacher pets are put on a pedestal. Overall, the teachers at this school are competent and acceptable.