West High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C146 Students
- A+53 Students
- A+51 Students
- A+41 Students
- A+40 Students
- A+39 Students
- A+38 Students
- A+37 Students
- A+34 Students
- C+33 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.27 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.39 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.40 responses
West High School Reviews
Review West High School
The thing I love most about West Anchorage High School is that it is extremely diverse. If you walk down the hallway on any given day chances are you'll probably hear about 10 different languages being spoken within different groups of people. Yet that doesn't cause much friction within the school. I, myself have 5 best friends, none of us have the same first language or skin color but that doesn't matter too us. West High School is an example of diversity at its finest. We have the regular drama that any school has but very little of it is race motivated.
It is a great school with an excellent IB program. I have attended the school since 2013 and would like to see everything stay the same. Although West is the oldest high school in Anchorage, it is one of the best and students love the history that it is part of. We embrace the history and have an exceptional amount of school spirit. I am a senior at the school, and in my four years, I would not change anything. This school has an exceptional amount of diversity and a number of accelerated programs, making this school well rounded and a good fir for people of all backgrounds.
Again, there's many options in curriculum and the style of education you choose to pursue. From online courses, half days at king career center, IB, AP, highly gifted, and courses for non-native english speakers, West has many options. Likewise, whatever route you head down (combined with your work ethic and procrastination level) is what determines your workload. As far as a class to recommend, I'd take choir, considering the choir at West is driven and successful while having one of the best teachers I've ever worked with in my life. Ms. Green is motivated, enthusiastic, driven, passionate, very knowledgable about what she does, and always on the look-out for what is best for her students. Olito for chemistry definitely gets you learning, and I've heard great things about Vano for IB lit/IB history of the americas as well.