West Carteret High School is a highly rated, public school located in Morehead City, NC. It has 1,262 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 1% of students are at least proficient in math and 65% in reading.
West Carteret High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+202 Students
- B+175 Students
- A+143 Students
- B+127 Students
- A-119 Students
- B+103 Students
- B72 Students
- B52 Students
- B50 Students
- A+49 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 58 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like West Carteret High School
West Carteret High School Reviews
From my experience of seeing my sister graduate from this school, and now I and my younger brother are here the teachers have been pretty average compared to all the places I’ve lived. Every once in a while you’ll find a super great teacher that you will want to take their class agian, and agian. The Bathrooms and cleanliness of the school are on the low but I can see that this year they are trying their best to fix that up. I would like to mention some of the rules placed are a little strong such as no phones at lunch or a very harsh dress code making some girls go and have to buy a complete new set of clothes. As a active member of the band parent involvement and the amount of work they do, is absolutely amazing. The band program is the charm of the school in my opinion while activities such as sports are a close second. Over all a great school, and I’m glad to be a patriot!
I am going to be a senior at West Carteret, and so far I have enjoyed my time at the school. While being the flagship of the county, West has offered amazing AP and honors classes with incredible teachers that have made me such a better student. I feel like I was really able to come out of my shell at West and get involved in the community. The environment is pretty relaxed and friendly and offers many opportunities for its students. West graduates and alum have been some of the top students in the state and even country, with previous students earning top scholarships and awards to prestigious universities. West has a great student body that is extremely talented and intelligent. Its sports do pretty well overall in the state; several state champions and champion teams have been honed at West. There are teachers that I consider myself very close with and feel like I can freely chat with them about things going on in my life. The experiences that I have will be irreplaceable.
My experience at West Carteret High School is hard to put into words and if you went here you'd understand why. It's not that West is a bad school we have wonderful school spirit, ecstatic teachers well some. Peprallys, movie nights, bonfires and more. It may not be the best looking school on the inside or outside its been here for a long while. But everything else makes up for it the memories I've made while at this school will stay with me forever. Now every high school has something wrong with it whether it's unacceptable school lunches or careless teachers and students. Racism oh boy do I experience that almost everyday and more factors but there is honestly just something that keeps me at this school. I couldn't imagine life without the people I've met, plays I've gotten to see, being apart of the yearbook committee and so many other things that made me almost proud to be a patriot at WCHS.