West Carteret High School is a highly rated, public school located in Morehead City, NC. It has 1,258 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 64% of students are at least proficient in math and 63% in reading.
West Carteret High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+148 Students
- B+126 Students
- A+105 Students
- B+99 Students
- A-87 Students
- B+74 Students
- C+48 Students
- B40 Students
- A+38 Students
- B-34 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 56 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like West Carteret High School
West Carteret High School Reviews
While West Carteret does have it's problems, it is a really amazing high school. The teachers are top-notch, and the administration really cares about the students. The school is large enough that it makes it easy to find a good group of friends and you have access to a large variety of classes. However, some AP classes are struggling to have enough students, and they should be fully supported (they should all be 1 year long). Overall an amazing high school experience!
West Carteret High School is a great school. The teachers and staff care a lot about the students education and safety. My experience there so far has been great. I've bumped heads with teachers/staff but honestly what student doesn't? However, the school is a great school and deserves more acknowledgement than it really gets. The principals there are just trying to help the students out and help then reach their goals and what they are going to do in their life, career rise. A lot of stuff goes on during the school and during summer break with activities like band, color guard, football, cheerleading, etc. Are school has a lot of activities/clubs for your student and tried tovhelp them learn respect, discipline, and courtesy.
The teachers in this school are generally excellent; most are willing to connect with you personally and stay after school for help. The few who don't do this are the reason for the star off. Not only this, but the administration is always changing staff - I've been at this school for three years now, and have had maybe five different assistant principles, three of which aren't even here anymore. The other reason for a star being off is that the school is generally unclean. There are roaches in most classrooms, and the ones where there aren't roaches are usually because the teacher makes an effort to keep them out. This may be because this school is old though, so it's typically excusable.