Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A minus
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Waverly-Shell Rock Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Waverly, IA. It has 683 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 87% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Waverly-Shell Rock Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B+110 Students
- grade A106 Students
- grade A94 Students
- grade B63 Students
- grade B53 Students
- grade A minus25 Students
- grade B minus25 Students
- grade A23 Students
- grade B19 Students
- grade A+17 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A
- Housinggrade A minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 24 responses
- Sporting events33%
- Day of Silence13%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade A minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,800 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 15 responses
Schools like Waverly-Shell Rock Senior High School
- grade B+Denver Senior High School
- Denver Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.6 out of 5 48 reviews
- grade ACedar Falls High School
- Cedar Falls Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.69 out of 5 309 reviews
- grade B minusJanesville Junior/Senior High School
- Janesville Consolidated School District, IA
- Rating 3.23 out of 5 22 reviews
- grade B minusNashua-Plainfield Jr./Sr. High School
- Nashua-Plainfield Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.5 out of 5 26 reviews
Waverly-Shell Rock Senior High School Reviews
Rating 3.82 out of 5 106 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
WSR is a safe and competitive school. Academically, we have high expectations. Teachers, coaches, and staff are always pushing us to learn and become better people. Our facilities are great and there is a good culture surrounding our school. What we lack most would be diversity. Diversity is one of the things I would like to see more in our school district as well as more funding for our arts programs because our sports programs are very well off. However, I feel very fortunate to go Waverly Shell-Rock and am proud to be a Go-Hawk.
Waverly-Shell Rock is a school I would recommend everyone send their child to. The community and the school district are unlike any other around. The community helps out the school in many different ways including sports and the music and art department. They are always there helping with concessions. Also, the faculty is just as great. They are willing to help you with problems and keep the school in good condition. All in all, I would tell any parent to send their children to this school if they are looking for a great community and education system.
Waverly-Shell Rock High School is one of the top performing schools in the state of Iowa. The teachers expect a lot but they also give a lot. They want their students to succeed and that shows when the standardized test scores come out. Also, the school has opportunities for everyone. There are sports, fine arts, clubs, engineering and shop classes, FFA, and so much more. The building is older but the resources inside are nice. Each student gets a chromebook to help them with their classes. One change that I would like to see is that some of the AP courses could boost one’s GPA higher than a 4.0. The school graduates a lot of students with a 4.0 because some would say that it does not take much to reach that point. I think if the GPA could go higher for those who take harder classes, the environment would be more competitive and the students would work harder making it so those who do end with 4.0+, truly worked for it.