Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade C+
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Watertown High School is an above average, public school located in Watertown, SD. It has 1,207 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 50% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
Watertown High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B185 Students
- grade B+157 Students
- grade B minus84 Students
- grade B+76 Students
- grade A64 Students
- grade B+54 Students
- grade A minus53 Students
- grade B minus51 Students
- grade B minus45 Students
- grade B minus42 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responses
- Spirit Week9%
- Pep rallies5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 19 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,539 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 26 responses
Schools like Watertown High School
Watertown High School Reviews
Rating 3.83 out of 5 149 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Overall was a very good high school. The teachers were friendly and willing to engage with students to encourage them and challenge them to succeed. Many different meal options. The teachers and staff created a safe environment for learning. Many different clubs and activities!
I believe the Watertown High School has done wonders for me as a student and a person. I have grown so much during my 4 years at WHS. The teachers and staff have not only helped me, but pushed me to become a better person and student. The coaches have not only helped me to achieve excellence during sports, but also in the classroom. The counselors and lunchroom workers have become friends and mentors for me. I have always felt comfortable and safe at Watertown High School. The principals and resource officers are always available to talk to and help you with any questions you might have, whether it's about school or about home. I can't express how good my four years at WHS have been. I have really enjoyed everyday I attended school.
Watertown High School has been a great place for me to grow, learn, gain a multitude of friendships, and find new academic interests. This school gave me a variety of opportunities to be involved in the community, arts, sports, extracurriculars, and college courses. If I could change anything about my high school, it would likely be the funds that go to the art programs. Sports are very appreciated at my high school, but the arts are not. The theater program is somewhat disappointing because of insufficient funds. The theater program is also not allowed to fundraise because of school limitations. Fundraisers available are mostly given to sports. Also, to create student lounges, the high school wants to eliminate some of the art classrooms along with the theater room.Overall, I love my high school but wish some things could change.