Washburn Rural High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A250 Students
- A219 Students
- B-218 Students
- B75 Students
- B-64 Students
- B52 Students
- B41 Students
- B+32 Students
- A+31 Students
- B-30 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.34 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.34 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 97 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.45 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.60 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.70 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.70 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.69 responses
Schools like Washburn Rural High School
- A-Seaman High School
- Seaman Unified School District, KS
- 138 reviews
- B+Mission Valley Junior & Senior High School
- Mission Valley Unified School District, KS
- 35 reviews
- A-Rossville Junior/Senior High School
- Kaw Valley Unified School District, KS
- 32 reviews
- ASilver Lake Junior/Senior High School
- Silver Lake Unified School District, KS
- 50 reviews
Washburn Rural High School Reviews
As a whole, WRHS offers a good education. There are a few exceptional teachers, but many seem burnt out and care little for the subject or the students. It is extremely monotonous; the building itself resembles a prison, and there is very little diversity. The administration is lacking, as they serve only the most privileged students who bring in money. Mental health is never addressed, leading a large population of the school to turn towards drugs, self-harm, and suicide, something the administration tries desperately to hide. The only thing promoted in this school is grade-chasing -- those who don't receive high scores often have their grades mysteriously "bumped up" in order for the district to maintain their ranking and cash flow. As an individual, I struggled here for quite some time. However, after I found a small community, I felt somewhat content. I enjoyed my English, Art, and History classes; those honors departments are considerably stronger than the others in the building.
I would like to see more diversity in the school. As of right now there is next to none and I think that the high school experience at WRHS would be greatly improved with an increase in diversity. I would also like to see better teaching. Quite a few of the teachers have the potential to provide a much better education to the students but don't because of laziness. I think it is unacceptable that people have to request certain teachers in order to get a better education, and that all of the teachers should be providing an adequate education to their students. One thing that I love about the school is the opportunities it has for students. There are so many different clubs, sports and extracurricular activities for the students to be involved in.
We have such a wide range of classes, clubs, sports, and activities for everyone's interests which is great. My only critique is that some of the teachers aren't the greatest but we have some very exceptional ones as well! Overall, I think it's a great, safe environment.