Ward Melville Senior High School is a top rated, public school located in East Setauket, NY. It has 1,759 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Ward Melville Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-317 Students
- A-223 Students
- A+195 Students
- A+194 Students
- A+172 Students
- A+139 Students
- A+130 Students
- B121 Students
- B118 Students
- C107 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.41 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.41 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.59 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.66 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.66 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.66 responses
Schools like Ward Melville Senior High School
- AEarl L. Vandermeulen High School
- Port Jefferson Union Free School District, NY
- 96 reviews
- ACommack High School
- Commack Union Free School District, NY
- 773 reviews
- A+Half Hollow Hills High School West
- Half Hollow Hills Central School District, NY
- 279 reviews
- ANorthport Senior High School
- Northport-East Northport Union Free School District, NY
- 207 reviews
Ward Melville Senior High School Reviews
Theres plenty of clubs, sports, and events. National Honors Society is a joke, pretty much everyone gets in. Guidance counselors, at least mine (Mrs. Sheppard) are so sweet and caring! They really try to help you solve any issue, academic or social. Security is also a joke, anyone can get in as long as you show id, no metal detectors or anything like that. Everyones extremely competitive, so much so that they battle with administration for 0.3 of a point on averages. Great variety of AP, honors, and regents classes, I never found myself wanting anything more. Families in this area are usually 1) extremely rich, using Mommy and Daddy's money for everything ofc and have no regard for money or 2) just your middle class average family. Usually everyones already in their cliques unless you're attractive then they’ll be all over you and you'll have tons of friends. I’d say my time here was good, I’m glad to be moving onto bigger and better things.
Ward Melville is an awesome place! There is always something to do. There are clubs ranging from Ceramics Club to Chamber Orchestra. We have great athletics, including a boys' lacrosse team that has won States, a top notch fencing team, and a tennis team that has won counties. In terms of student life, there are cliques but many people from different groups will be close. I have close friends from different friend groups and I couldn't be happier. Big class size means constantly meeting new people. In terms of academics, it can be pretty challenging, coming from an AP/Honors student. It's a lot of work but it's manageable. The teachers here are usually willing to help and pretty understanding. The environment here is somewhat competitive. Students like to work together but they also want others to learn from mistakes. Food here is okay, could be healthier. Note that many kids here are children of employees at the numerous nearby hospitals and Stony Brook University.
Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Ward Melville High School. I've made many friends, and unforgettable memories. I'm heavily involved in their music program, and have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences with them. The teachers are awesome, and know what they're teaching. However, I feel like the rest of my academic teachers aren't as committed as they should be. Although they offer help, they don't communicate as much as they should, and only seem to express some form of acknowledgement that you need help when you're failing the class or it's the end of the semester. Also, this school doesn't have much diversity, and I believe cultural events should be more present in our school.