Walter G. O'Connell Copiague High School is an above average, public school located in Copiague, NY. It has 1,566 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 93% in reading.
1100 Dixon Ave
Copiague, NY 11726
Work Here? Claim Your School
Walter G. O'Connell Copiague High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-133 Students
- B90 Students
- B+81 Students
- A+81 Students
- B80 Students
- C65 Students
- B+61 Students
- B55 Students
- A+53 Students
- C53 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.44 responses
Schools like Walter G. O'Connell Copiague High School
- B-Westbury High School
- Westbury Union Free School District, NY
- 146 reviews
- B-Uniondale High School
- Uniondale Union Free School District, NY
- 287 reviews
- AMalverne Senior High School
- Malverne Union Free School District, NY
- 120 reviews
- A-Deer Park High School
- Deer Park Union Free School District, NY
- 145 reviews
Walter G. O'Connell Copiague High School Reviews
Great High school, has the best teachers ever! This school is in a small town on Long Island that doesn't have the best reputation. The town is pretty bad, violence is increasing, as well as gangs, and drugs. But the High school just seems to take the students out of that bad situation that their going through and let them get completely submerged in their work, and friends at school to take their minds off things. These teachers are so nice, and know what the students experience everyday. I wouldn't trade anything in the world to have gone to a different high school.
Copiague High School isn't a bad school, despite people thinking it's "The ghetto of Long Island" and such. The teachers are more than capable of doing their jobs, but many of the students like to choose not to apply themselves, and turn around and blame the teacher for "Not teaching well enough." To be completely honest, you get what you give, and if you apply and engage yourself, you're well on your way to succeed. The school has a fair range of diversity, though there is a noticeably (And understandably) small East Asian population in the school. Other populations that are considered a minority in America are rare, as well: Jews and Muslims exist, but are fairly hard to find. The majority seems to be Hispanic, Black, and White, from largest to smallest (relatively speaking).
What I love about Walter G. O'Connell Copiague High School the most is the diversity. Copiague High School is made up of so many people that come from so many different places. This gives you a better look at the real world and what people look like outside of high school. I also love that my school has so many programs, either for fun or for academic purposes. Although my school is amazing there are a couple things that I would change. I would change the food. I would give more options because some kids either have allergies or happen to be vegan or vegetarian and do not have many options to chose from. My overall experience with Walter G. O'Connell has been great!