Walt Whitman High School is a top rated, public school located in Huntington Station, NY. It has 1,871 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 97% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Walt Whitman High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-151 Students
- A113 Students
- A+108 Students
- A+77 Students
- B69 Students
- A+64 Students
- B+60 Students
- B+59 Students
- A58 Students
- B57 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 108 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.44 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.44 responses
Schools like Walt Whitman High School
- ABay Shore Senior High School
- Bay Shore Union Free School District, NY
- 209 reviews
- AHuntington High School
- Huntington Union Free School District, NY
- 202 reviews
- A-Deer Park High School
- Deer Park Union Free School District, NY
- 144 reviews
- AHicksville High School
- Hicksville Union Free School District, NY
- 217 reviews
Walt Whitman High School Reviews
Attending Walt Whitman was an experience I truly treasure. Speaking to friends in college now about the classes I took then, I am even more appreciative of the hard work and love that Whitman teachers put into their job. The variety of classes only gives these teachers a greater outlet to teach about things they're passionate in: Anthropology, Nature of Language, Creative Writing, Sociology, AP Environmental. Not only were they teachers that pushed me hard, they were like second parents that were there if I ever needed anything. I was lucky to participate in amazing extracurriculars like Fencing and served as the yearbook editor in chief. Both of these activities allowed me to hone in on leadership skills and problem solving skills. I had the choice to attend private school like my brother, but i would make the same choice every day to spend my 4 years of high school at Whitman.
Walt Whitman High School is an amazing school with supportive teachers, staff, and students. The fun clubs that I’ve been a part of, such as National Art Honor Society and Asian Culture Club, have been great to meet nice people and cultivate your interests. The sports teams are also very competitive, which is a good thing when it comes to winning championships. I personally play varsity badminton and I have never seen such a tight knit team like this one. There’s also many events that go on after school, such as International Night, the theatre performances, Senior Follies, Powderpuff, etc. But, the most important thing is that their education is top notch and the teachers are very dedicated to their students.
I am a very proud Alum of SHUFSD's Walt Whitman High School. The faculty are incredible. Whenever you have a problem, they will help you out not because they have to, but because they want to. I was properly prepared for the difficulty of college courses after my course load during high school. Mr. Murphy, the Principal of Walt Whitman High School, has been making monumental changes to the school. He has implemented computer science courses and emphasizes the importance of STEM. The Arts/Music programs are highly ranked and are viewed with great pride. I personally thank Mr. Murphy, the Administration, the BOE, and Faculty for diligently working to make Walt Whitman High School a safe and extraordinary learning environment.