Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Waimea High School is a public school located in Waimea, HI. It has 621 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Waimea High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B96 Students
- B58 Students
- B-50 Students
- A45 Students
- B37 Students
- A+31 Students
- A-30 Students
- B-29 Students
- B28 Students
- B24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 57 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Waimea High School Reviews
I believe that Waimea High School is directing itself towards a promising academic future because of the new style of academies. Not only have WHS focused on the improvement academically, but they focus on the idea of citizenship and responsibility, the building blocks of life. Whether this may be from athletics or academics, Waimea High School has a longing desire to positively impact students for life outside of the classroom. While their intentions are admirable and community support couldn't be exceptional, the biggest improvement Waimea High School can take is the expansion of options for educational exploration and extracurricular activities. There are many choices in the three academies but, I've noticed the struggle during the selection process for their electives. It also may seem that outside of athletics, the participation and existence in extracurricular activities have lowered.
Waimea High School has a great environment. The staff and faculty are warm and welcoming, most of them take time to help students beyond the classroom. For example, higher-level math teachers will hold tutoring in the morning before school and most of the teachers go to school-wide tutoring sessions on Tuesday and Thursday nights. Additionally, the JROTC instructors will stay after school for hours so student-athletes have a safe place to wait for practices. The one downfall of this school is its history and science programs. The history classes are mainstream and cater to those who aren't academically inclined and the science teachers are inept. Furthermore, there aren't many academic clubs and opportunities, the main clubs are FFA and HOSA.
Once I stepped onto the grounds that belonged to Waimea High school, I knew that it would be unique. The diversity roars throughout the halls, it seems to be filled with many students of color any many more with exceptional personalities. It seems that one of the few flaws lies in the praise sports. Sports is a very important activity in Waimea High, like most school. Though, it seems like they don't pay enough attention to other activities as well. But, school spirit and the kindness from the teachers AND students almost make up for that.