Vinton-Shellsburg High School is an above average, public school located in Vinton, IA. It has 443 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Vinton-Shellsburg High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A54 Students
- A44 Students
- B-43 Students
- B+42 Students
- B-19 Students
- A-14 Students
- B13 Students
- C+10 Students
- B9 Students
- B8 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 17 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.11 responses
Vinton-Shellsburg High School Reviews
It was exactly what you would expect out of a high school in a small town that is willing to put more praise on athletics than academics. There are a lot of great teachers, and a few I would consider friends. But with classes getting cut and teachers being moved around things can get hectic. Classes come and go in the Industrial Arts section.
I like that the school implemented a 1:1 idea meaning that each student has a laptop that can be used for the school year. The school district switched to semesters for this school year, and I like the adjusted work load that comes along with it. It added two classes to my schedule which means I have more work to do, but it makes me feel like I am getting better prepared for college.
Some of the teachers are really interested in the wellbeing of their students and try their hardest to help the student with whatever is needed. Each teacher has a grading scale that is slightly different. The math grading scale is completely different because the math classes are taught as learning targets which means that as long as you understand the main concepts of the chapter, you will pass the test and move along with the rest of the class. The science teachers each grade differently as well. Some base their grading entirely on homework, others never give out homework and only have quizzes and tests and only put tests in the grade book. When the language teachers are teaching the same class such as English 11. They all teach different things and are not consistent with what is supposed to be the mandatory teachings.