Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade B minus
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Verona, NY. It has 577 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade C+50 Students
- grade B minus44 Students
- grade B+39 Students
- grade B31 Students
- grade A31 Students
- grade B30 Students
- grade A minus27 Students
- grade B+26 Students
- grade A+25 Students
- grade A minus24 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 11 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 43 responses
- Spirit Week21%
- Homecoming game16%
- Prep rally16%
- Pep rallies7%
- Teacher/Senior basketball game5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 17 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$18,280 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 19 responses
Schools like Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Senior High School
- grade BWestmoreland High School
- Westmoreland Central School District, NY
- Rating 4.07 out of 5 45 reviews
- grade BOriskany Junior/Senior High School
- Oriskany Central School District, NY
- Rating 4.29 out of 5 21 reviews
- grade B+Whitesboro High School
- Whitesboro Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.78 out of 5 140 reviews
- grade B minusWaterville Junior/Senior High School
- Waterville Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.81 out of 5 26 reviews
Vernon-Verona-Sherrill Senior High School Reviews
Rating 4.08 out of 5 142 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I had so many great experiences at VVS! I absolutely loved all of my teachers. They taught me a series of life lessons that have helped shape me into the person I am today. There are so many opportunities for leadership & extracurriculars. My only complaint, is that the athletics are appreciated, attended, and funded much more than the fine arts; music, art, and the drama club don’t receive enough funding, forcing them to fundraise on their own. However, the teachers in these departments have made my experiences worth while. Even with the struggles listed above, they strive to create a safe and sufficient learning environment. I’ve grown as a person more than I ever thought possible. If I ever had a question about homework, college applications, or anything else in between, I could count on multiple staff members to provide their wisdom. I’m very thankful for all the experiences and lessons I’ve gained from attending VVS and I will cherish the memories I’ve made forever.
Vernon Verona Sherrill Senior High school is average compared to other schools within the neighboring school districts. Vernon Verona Sherrill is a small rural high school with limited academics and sports programs to ensure maximum growth. The staff is very friendly and the teachers are usually available for extra help. The sports programs and coaches are behind the times and need to move out of the 1990's. Most coaches are there to absorb an extra check and boost their retirement benefits. If you have the right last name, you will get the most playing time over a truly better player who does not have the same last name. I am sure it is like this in most small schools. Politics always are an issue!
Some of my top concerns with the school are: teachers not understanding socio-economic advantages, religious intolerance (against atheists, Muslims, etc), teaching that The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, a sex ed program that was not scientifically accurate, teachers not recognizing their own biases (example: there was a lot of opinions about what made for good writing, and teachers talked about their opinions as if they were facts), a lack of awareness about sensory processing disorders and connective tissue diseases (gym teachers need to be aware, so not to abuse students), and a generally immature environment. The were certainly ways that VVS was worse than other schools, but in general, it was bad in ways that many schools in the area are bad. On the plus side, there are things to learn from adversity, and it did have a pretty good math program. Also, I thought the honors biology teacher put in a lot of effort and was quite good.